4 channel audio in R2CF at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 21st, 2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

4 channel audio in R2CF

If I am beginning with a R3D file that had 4 channel audio imbedded, am I able to convert this file to a CFAVI with the 4 channel audio intact?

Last edited by David H. Wilson; August 22nd, 2009 at 11:19 AM.
David H. Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Would like to have this question answered.

Anyone?
Old January 6th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Mmmmm... thank you Jan for bringing this up again. I would still very much like to know if this is possible or if this is a feasible feature request for the future. Actually I'm interested in knowing as well if it is (or will be) possible for CineForm files to be created with multichannel sound (say 6 to 8 channels).
David H. Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

i've only done 2 channel R2CF....

but i seem to remember CF being only 2 channels of audio.

you could however replace the audio stream with a separate stream in virtualdub...using direct stream copy.....and have no recompression...I know you can embed a six channel ac3 surround track in that way

just a side note...RED audio sucks....I get better out of an HVX...
so for a really important project i would recommend external recording...and just using red audio for sync
the epics and scarletts will be different but RED audio is far from the quality of RED video
Mike Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Mike, many thanks for your thoughts and I concur with your idea of a separate audio stream in virtualdub.

I agree as well with your suggestion of external recording, we almost always do dual system sound. We have found, however, that with the new sound card, the audio we achieve with the Red is quite good.

We are using Core Sound's 4 channel ambisonic TetraMic. Core makes connectors for the RED and we are finding that the RED/TetraMic combination works beautifully and produces a quite excellent sound-field recording; we would love to see CineForm support multichannel audio.

David
David H. Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase