dvd conversion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 30th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

dvd conversion

Currently i use hdlink to resize my cf hd video to sd and then i use tmpgenc express to make a dvd capable file which i use in encore. My question is, is that workflow the best currently in terms of quality and speed for burning to dvd or is it better to use something like sorenson squeeze to spit out the dvd capable file for encore bypassing the hdlink process. I hear so much about sorenson squeeze and was wondering if it really provided better quality output then my current workflow.
Anish Sharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #2
Major Player

I use the same work flow and that is the best work flow I have found so far.

I have tried ProCoder 3, HC Encoder, Encore and others and nothing comes close.

Simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anish Sharma View Post
Currently i use hdlink to resize my cf hd video to sd and then i use tmpgenc express to make a dvd capable file which i use in encore. My question is, is that workflow the best currently in terms of quality and speed for burning to dvd or is it better to use something like sorenson squeeze to spit out the dvd capable file for encore bypassing the hdlink process. I hear so much about sorenson squeeze and was wondering if it really provided better quality output then my current workflow.
Anish, we get better results by using the fullsize CFHD (1920x1080p) in TMPGEnc and letting it downsize and made the mpg for Encore.

It might be because we are doing everything progressive and going to widescreen. We've not found downsizing in HDLINK (before going to TMPGEnc) to be any advantage, and the speed of TMPGEnc is very good and the downsizing quality is outstanding.

We are now using variable rate control (VBR-2 pass) instead of constant (CBR) as the quality is very high and the speed is good.
Old September 30th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback guys...i will try using vbr-2 in tmpgenc express tonight and see how it compares. Any step i can take to speed the workflow is good.
Old September 30th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #5
Major Player

I second Stephen's workflow. Watching the resulting DVD on an up-scaling DVD player is darn close to watching the original HD streamed to the TV.

Thanks,
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #6
Major Player

I agree. I did not realize he resizes it. Yes, without resizing it.

Simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 03:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Can the TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress convert from 709 collorspace to 601?
Mikael Bergstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 03:51 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I am interested in this work flow:

sorenson sdqueeze is on sale half price at digital juice and was considering the purchase.

Does this work flow also alow high quality mp4 of hd as well as superior down converting to DV?

At present I just use the Vegas encoder to mp4 but i do not think it down converts to dv as well as I would like.

would this work flow give me better imagery?
Old October 2nd, 2009, 05:35 AM   #9
Major Player

A David Newman response needed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Bergstrom View Post
Can the TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress convert from 709 collorspace to 601?
Good question. I believe I asked that question in the past, but it would be good if David Newman weighs in on this.

I really don't remember for sure, except there is no "red light" tickling my brain on it, so hopefully it's automatic!
Old October 2nd, 2009, 05:47 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
I am interested in this work flow:

sorenson sdqueeze is on sale half price at digital juice and was considering the purchase.

Does this work flow also alow high quality mp4 of hd as well as superior down converting to DV?

At present I just use the Vegas encoder to mp4 but i do not think it down converts to dv as well as I would like.

would this work flow give me better imagery?
Dale, best thing is to test this workflow with your productions. So far, almost everything we've done seems to convert better from using full CFHD masters, and especially to mpg's and flashes. We've done some mp4 that look pretty nice, but not a lot. We have output to DIVX HD to test, and the 1280 x720 results were extremely nice. A few tiny bumps in odd places, but very nice overall.

I guess these are just some of the reasons we stick with CF, as it gives us great flexibility and very good final quality, even when cross/downconverting (via AE preset!!) to PAL DV output!

Nothing else I know of can do as much, or as well.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 07:41 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I know HDLink can convert from 709 to 601 collorspace, but the question was if TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress can?

It's important if we go direct from CF1920 x 1080 file to SD and downsize in TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress , then the TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress need to do the collorspace change (not HDLink).

Regards
Mikael
Sweden
Mikael Bergstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:42 PM   #12
Regular Crew

sorenson squeeze half price sale is indeed tempting..but i heard sorenson are using the same codec as media encoder so perhaps the quality may not differ too much on the down conversion. Iam unable to do any tests unfortunately as ill be away for the next two weeks.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 06:59 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Bergstrom View Post
I know HDLink can convert from 709 to 601 collorspace, but the question was if TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress can?

It's important if we go direct from CF1920 x 1080 file to SD and downsize in TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress , then the TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress need to do the collorspace change (not HDLink).

Regards
Mikael
Sweden
Good point Mikael. Hadn't really checked that out, as I just assumed it did so automatically, since SD is only 601 that I know of. But it certainly would be a good question to check out.

Our SD mpgs sometimes looked oversaturated, but we just assumed it was when viewing on older TVs, almost always CRTs. On LCDs they look good. We just slightly undersaturate to make sure everythings good on the widest range of TVs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase