When to use First Light? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 9th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

When to use First Light?

I am stabilizing Cf Raw files from full size R3D footage in AE CS4, after which I reframe the shot to 1920x 1080 cineform avi and output to Premiere for editing.

I'm confused about color management. At the moment, I'm turning off color management completely in AE, only choosing 16 or 32 bit before output. My thought is to apply First Light to the clip in Premiere.

Is that the correct way to deal with color?
Mike Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #2
Major Player

Hey Mike....

First Light doesn't function as a plug-in, it's a standalone.... so any corrections made to your clips, become a part of that clip's properties, whether Premiere, AE, etc
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It's just occurred to me that you could complete your edit in Premiere, trim the project (so that you're left with just the shots in the movie, plus handles) and then use First Light to colour correct as you might use any other grading program, shot for shot, but only what's in the movie. I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it like this, but I've only just had the thought...

Ian
Ian Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #4
Major Player

Ian... that's a good workflow so long as you aren't using CS4 which does NOT recognize or collect CFHD clips as part of its Project Manager.

Very, very, very, very frustrating, especially since no one seems to know if it is something that will be fixed.
Old October 9th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Project Manager doesn't recognize CFHD clips? That is not good news at all.

I was counting on that. Wonder how I'll backup now?
Mike Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #6
Major Player

It's a real problem. I have large projects that I archive via Project Manager to trim things down.

I am in limbo, with several huge projects occupying massive storage space awaiting the day when I can create trimmed projects.

All I can do is sit and wait, hoping that the RT Engine and associated updates for Prospect HD will somehow remedy the issue.

Just one of the many stumbling blocks of CS4.... but given the mosaic of updates (Win7, CS4, Cineform......), that's where I've ended up.

Send a note to the guys at Cineform so it has a chance to be a front burner issue (along with the dozens of other front burner issues they are trying to deal with).
Old October 15th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Baggen View Post
Just one of the many stumbling blocks of CS4....
Marty - why is this a CS4 issue? I can use project manager with other Codecs but as soon as I try to use it with Cineform it doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Baggen View Post
Send a note to the guys at Cineform so it has a chance to be a front burner issue (along with the dozens of other front burner issues they are trying to deal with).
I logged it as a fault with them. They appear not to know this is a problem and believe the Cineform product functions as intended.
Matthew Longbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #8
Major Player

Matthew..... Cineform is certainly aware of it. I was told it's a matter of other priorities for fixes with CS4. Not much more can be said..... no CFHD files in the CS4 Project Manager.
Old October 15th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #9
New Boot

Personally I feel they should put that on their website then if they are aware of the issue. As I purchased a product that doesn't workas it should.

Does anybody know if there is a workaround or a similar way to achieve the same result? I can't export each individual clip using AME as that just takes forever.

Basically I want to use Premiere CS4 to trim the bits of the clips I want. Then dump them into AE to process. I don't want to process any larger clips than I have to - hence I want them trimmed.
Matthew Longbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #10
Trustee

CFHD project trimming works fine in CS3, if that's of any help. CS3 and CS4 can coexit on the same machine, although CS3 can't open CS4 projects.

Edit: also, if you dynamic link from Premiere to AE (in CS4) then only the selected virtual clip, not the entire raw clip, links across. So that method can provide trimming, of a sort, via CS4. Obviously not ideal though.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase