Capturing - 5DM2 and Others at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old November 10th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Capturing - 5DM2 and Others

I'm not a huge fan of FCP - sorry. I know it's great, but I'd rather stay on my PC.

That being said, I've been waiting for Cineform (or 3rd party) to come out with a better capture tool - one similar to the P2 Import on FCP.

I use HD Link and capture/convert ALL my data, but I feel it's a bit of a waste of time and HDD space, when, if I could look at my takes, trim my clips and dig only what I want, I'd be a happier guy.

I was told YEARS ago that Cineform would be coming out with a better dig tool, but it doesn't seem to be happening. Now GlueTools has something cool for FCP (on it's way) to gather footage from 5DM2 sources and convert to ProRes.
I don't want ProRes.

Will Cineform be competing with this kind of capture tool?
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #2
Major Player

A week of silence on this.
Disappointing.

And no user has chimed in either. Guess I'm alone in my desire for a better capture tool???
Either that, or I'm an idiot and have missed something obvious.
If so, I hope someone points that out to me soon...
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #3
New Boot

I guess I'm a bit confused. You say capture, but mention P2 as an example. There is no capture with P2 and Premiere, just load the files and go. Premiere works with file formats natively so there is no transcoding, unlike FCP that, I believe, has to convert everything to QT files.
If you would rather the P2 (or other digital clips) be CineForm files, HDlink converts them quickly and easily.
If you want the option to trim the source clips before converting to CineForm, well then you've got a problem. But CineForm files are so small (as well as P2, EX, Red, etc.) does it really matter if they are pre-trimmed? I went from working uncompressed 10-bit HD (132MB/s) to CineForm 10-bit at 13MB/s, I can't complain.
Premiere has the ability to capture just fine in the traditional sense (from tape source) with full deck control, batch lists, re-capture, print-to-tape.
Jeff Kosmicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #4
Major Player

There is a great program that can import 5D clips, edit in and out points, and batch export Cineform files. It is called AE. (And now that I think about it, Media Encoder CS4 would work even better, unless you need to use AE to reinterpret from 30 to 29.97)
Old November 23rd, 2009, 06:36 PM   #5
Major Player

My mistake for calling it "Capture." Old habit (I'm sort of an old guy).

Basically, yes, I'd like to pull my clips from their native MOV that my 5D2 records in, trim them a bit and convert them to Cineform AVI files for editing in Vegas or Premier or AE or whatnot.

I mentioned P2 only because that's what I'm forced to use here at work (my real job). I love the conversion process from native P2 to files that our OLD FCP system nativly uses.
You load all of your clips, click on one, trim it, and then dump it to the queue and repeat for all clips.
The advantage, clearly, is you only convert the files you like, and only the best parts of those.
Sure, there are work-arounds, but if P2 can do it, I thought surely Cineform could too, and do it in very near real time, like the P2 does.

But I get what you're saying here. Thanks very much for the Reply and thoughts.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase