Cineform and new Premiere Pro CS4 4.2 Update at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old November 10th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cineform and new Premiere Pro CS4 4.2 Update

Adobe just updated Premiere CS4 to 4.2 as well as their encoder. Anyone try it? I'm in the middle of project so I dont want to change anything yet. (BTW running Vista 64 here).
James Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #2
Major Player

Yeah just started a new project so I upgraded. So far so good with no complaints.
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 02:20 AM   #3
Trustee

My experience as well- using Vista 64.
I did image my system drive and uninstall PHD before doing the upgrade. I don't know if that is recommended, but I'm superstitious.
The upgrade was very smooth & fast, reinstalled PHD, opened up a finished 10 min CF project I had on board- everything works, previewing looks fine, exported the timeline to a couple of different formats- including full raster CFHD- using the upgraded AME. All quick & smooth, the output files look first class.
I'm a happy camper so far.
This has evolved for me to where I'm really solid with Vista64/CS4.2/PHD4.x. In fact I'm totally lovin' it compared to XP32/CS3/PHD3. It's finally working like I always imagined these systems should work.
Go for it!
Related issue: I have the Win7 upgrade disk, but I'm thinking everything is working perfectly for me rght now, why ask for trouble. I may just wait for CS5 before upgrading to Win7.
Old November 11th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

In terms of Win7, I'm in the same boat. I have my upgrade disk sitting still shrink wrapped in its box. I need to finish up a few projects before migrating the entire system. As far as 4.2 is concerned, as soon as I finish a few more remaining segments, I think I'll just go ahead and update. Like everyone else, now just waiting for CS4 Real Time Engine.
James Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #5
Major Player

I upgraded to PP 4.2 from 4.1 under Win 7 x64 and so far I don't see any change, good or bad. But then again, the listed PP 4.2 "fixes" don't affect my workflows.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #6
Trustee

Maybe I'm jaded, but I'm at the point where if I upgrade something and it still works at all, I consider it a great success. ;-)
Old November 14th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Young View Post
Maybe I'm jaded, but I'm at the point where if I upgrade something and it still works at all, I consider it a great success. ;-)
Hey, I remember a few years back, when rendering out a project was a great success if it completed. Rare was the day when I didn't have to restart after a crash...when I wore out the Ctrl-S by saving every few secs.

Come to think of it...maybe not much has changed... :)
Old November 14th, 2009, 09:01 AM   #8
Major Player

Premiere's Achillles Heel has forever been the way it hoards RAM and apparently, subsequently mismanages it internally. I'm only paraphrasing what more learned computer folks have described over the years, but it is self-evident in the behavior of the program.

All you can do is feed the beast, hence the scramble to 64-bit systems with loads of RAM, so at least after "Crash-o-Matic" claims all the memory it can handle, there's still some left over to keep the lights on.

That solution may be short-lived if the "new and improved" 64-bit Premiere of the future is going to start gobbling up even more system resources.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Baggen View Post
....That solution may be short-lived if the "new and improved" 64-bit Premiere of the future is going to start gobbling up even more system resources.
Thankfully, it appears that CS5 Premiere will use up to 64 GB RAM, so that'll get us down the road a yr or two.

At least until 3D editing takes over, anyway (which is coming on like a freight train). Then it'll be a whole new race to "upgrade" and learn the newest tools and software that will make it happen.

Déjà vu

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase