Firstlight questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 8th, 2010, 05:20 AM   #1
Major Player

Firstlight questions

Ok I have a few questions about firstlight.. I have had PHD for almost a year now and most likley have not been using it to its full potential..

IN FL how do you color correct or increase the exposure in part of a clip?
What is the advantage of the metadata? I read a lot about this in this form but do not understand what it is used for?

Next what are Lute's?

Thanks Bruce
Bruce Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm not sure you can color correct certain parts. If you can, I would really like to know. If not, would this be possible to add in a future release?
Brant Gajda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Key framing is coming for partial clip correction.

the advantage of Active Metadata is all you color changes are non destructive. If you do a color correction is Premiere then what to do some FX work in Combustion, you have to bake in the color. Yet baken in correct is typically bad for FX, but an effects artist not knowing the finally color look of the target is also bad. Active Metadata solves all of this, as color information in no longer tied to an individual project session of a particular NLE. Color work can be done at any time, not having to wait for picture lock. There are many more advantages. more info here Cineform Tech Blog Blog Archive CineForm Active Metadata? – Technology Overview and here Cineform Tech Blog active metadata

"Lutes", no idea. :) But LUTs -- Look Up Tables, allow for color corrections to emulate film styles or a stack of complex corrections into a simple fast 3-dimensional table. They are very important in high-end color finishing, and way cool to use in low-end projects.
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Dave how do you uses LUTs can you point me in the right direction?
Bruce Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

1) Download/install the LUTs pack linked in the upgrade emails you get when you request the latest update.

2) Run First Light.
3) Load a clip,
4) Select a random "Look (3D LUT)" -- below the Primaries correction.
5) Start playing, by changing your primaries through the look file, you can get some great results.

David
Old January 9th, 2010, 03:01 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Keyframing in Firstlight would open a whole world of possibilities. For instance, you could do final colour correction on a CFHD export ofyour completed movie (which I discover should now be called a Digital Source Master, assuming you use it to make delivery formats from). So it could be not just First but Last Light...

Brilliant.

Ian
Ian Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #7
Major Player

It would be nice to have key framing, but considering that CFHD is virtually lossless, why not split your video into individual scenes and rerender them as new clips that need their own specific color correction? That's what I've done and I have to fiddle with a lot of outdoor video, with changing lighting conditions. The only thing that you can't do with this approach is have a gradient of color correction between adjacent clips, In that case, just use a "normal", destructive CC plugin.
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase