Need advice on format for greenscreen at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 21st, 2010, 07:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need advice on format for greenscreen

I will be doing so greenscreen shooting this weekend with a HV20. Final delivery will be a mix of web and Blu-ray, both 24p. Would it be better to shoot HDV 24p or shoot Mpeg I frame 4:2:2, 60i via HDMI into the MXO Mini? If I shot using the MXO Mini I would have to use HDLink to deinterlace and change the framerate to 24p. Would there still be an advantage to using the 4:2:2 codec?
Tim Veal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Also 422 gives you mroe colour space to work with so better keying quality with the image and end results.
Leo Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hello,

Direct HDMI capture while you are recodring the Green screen will give you the best quality going into the Matrox unit into Cineform as it will be uncompressed, before the tape/camera compression if you recorded onto Tape. You will get better keying results and shaprer dges when usingthe above as opposed to the tape/camera compression.

Leo
Leo Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 11:08 PM   #4
Major Player

Go the direct capture route before it goes to tape. You'll thank yourself if you do! That compression is nasty for chroma work!
Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks. I'll go direct to the matrox box and convert to 24p/deinterlace afterwards. I will also get better audio as the MXO Mini will give me a wav file instead of mpeg audio.
Tim Veal is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase