Can FL output a 10 bit image to a monitor via HDMI or Displayport at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 24th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Can FL output a 10 bit image to a monitor via HDMI or Displayport

First off this is an involved question I realize and Cineform can only answer for there part...

1. I am wondering...does First Light have drivers that will display a 10 bit output?
2. if so through what means/card ect?

I have a Dreamcolor and have found it difficult to actually have apps send out a 10bit signal. Nvidia appears to have disabled it from HDMI in all but the Quadro1800 and up and you will find plenty of conflicting statements by them....(it appears lesser cards had support for 10bit via displayport or HDMI 1.3 in there specifications but were disabled through drivers to force users to upgrade.)
Mike Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I'm only aware that Display Port can drive the Dreamcolor monitors. We do plan to support this through an OpenGL surface controlled by First Light, but we are having some GFX Card issue at the moment, so no predictions when.
Old January 24th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

HDMI can definately drive a dreamcolor, and in the 1.3 version can do 10bit. Only displayport and HDMI can drive the colorspace engine, all other inputs will not.

the dreamcolor will respect this and treat it properly as long as it is progressive RGB
other wise the colorspace engine will be disabled, that kinda sucks because with every product out there capable of sending 10bit via HDMI (Aja IO express and matrox MXO2 mini) they all can only deliver 1080p in either YUV or 1080p via 60 frame interlaced pulldown. This of course can be corrected through a Aja or Gefen converter for an extra $600-1000.

I'm glad your looking towards doing this through a gfx card....as that is a less expensive route.

So here's a follow up question....
Does firstlight support either the IO express or matrox mxo2 mini to enable a 10bit output
thanks
Mike Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes to IO Express -- that supports 10-bit via HDSDI (not sure if it is HDMI 1.3 with 10-bit.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase