Testing neo 3d on FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old February 13th, 2010, 09:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Testing neo 3d on FCP

Hi

from time to time I have tested the 3d (specially when I updated my system and got another 15 days of full functionality) now I have real project coming in and willing to put down the money again but:

My setup for testing (as I mentioned I have used up the trial on my main system) core 2 duo 2.4 Macbook pro, zalman 22" 3d monitor

Files that I am testing with are SI2K 3d 2048x1152 24fps muxed mov.

1. I tested with regular 1920x1080 this shows correctly on external monitor if using Digital Cinema Desktop RAW, otherwise the stills were ok, but playback introduced some scaling that messed up the interlace. Not exactly realtime but this on 2 year old laptop with 3GB of RAM

2. SI2K files, If the playback is paused the preview is correct in Digital Cinema Desktop RAW but in playback the scaling comes back in. I tried the letterbox checkbox in Sytem Preferences but no help.
I am thinking I am doing something wrong here.....

I really do not want to use Kona because I grade on the same system in SpeedGrade and I want use the same monitoring options if at all possible also the Kona is another 3K and then I need something to convert the image to zalman? Also for 2D work the latest dell 30" is very good monitor, yeah I know 8bit but I would argue it is how you use the bits. And there is no 10bit output for mac from SpeedGrade.

NB! I get many crashes with using wave with the 2K files, HD seemed to behave better?

Thank You
-Kaspar
Kaspar Kallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

FCP is really a 1080 tool, once you start using other resolution it gets fussy. Stay tuned for an update next week (I think) that will turn you FCP experience on it head.

For monitoring, line interleaved displays like the Hyundai and JVC monitors work very well. Zalman are not suitable for FCP, as they aren't 1080 native, causing a scaling image and a loss of left/right separation.
Old February 14th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #3
Major Player

Kaspar, see this post: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform...a-release.html
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 02:36 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Sometimes things move faster than one would expect - cheers!

one other question: is there a way to "deMux" a stereo stream to be used for compositing. Or if not then if export dpx reMaster will ignore geometric transformations for parallax?

Thank You
-Kaspar Kallas
Kaspar Kallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #5
Major Player

We will release a demux tool in the near future.

In the mean time, when you convert to DPX using ReMaster, you can first launch First Light and turn OFF the convergence adjustments (or any other Active Metadata you desire) prior to the conversion.
David Taylor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase