Any programs / codecs known to conflict w/ Cineform? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old February 18th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Any programs / codecs known to conflict w/ Cineform?

Hey Everyone,

I bought cineform NeoScene a few days ago, and have not been able to get it working, even after contacting support for the last two days. With the files it does convert to cineform, the video plays much faster than it should, but the audio plays back at normal speed. This results in the picture ending and the audio continuing on a black screen or the last frame of picture.

The support at cineform gave me a registry file to execute that was supposed to resolve this but after installing it multiple times and having my operating system telling me it entered the values fine after each time i execute it, still no fix. Also did this along with uninstalling and reinstalling NeoScene, also no dice.

Also, half of the time, NeoScene will just become "not responding" when i try to convert some files to cineform. I cant find any pattern in what files crash it and what ones dont. They are all straight off my Panasonic HMC150.

Im guessing these problems are due to some program or codec i have installed on my computer? Or otherwise the registery fix isnt actually applying itself to my registry for some reason. Would the registry fix not applying also lead to the other half of my problem where HDlink freezes though? Any ideas?

Computer:

Vista ultimate 64bit
I7 720 processor
12gigs ram
ATI radeon 4850 HD
2 TB storage

Programs that may conflict?

Avast anti virus
TuneUp Utilities 2010
AVCCAM viewer 1.0
FFMPEG core files
TMPGEnc 4.0 Xpress
Zoom player
Quicktime
Media player classic
Shawn Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Follow up with support, as playback speed issues can be from other factors, support may have given you a solution to a different issue. That registry patch was likely for a 720p fix. I just run some HMC150 tests here and all is working, so a conflict is a good possibility. Only component I avoid is ffdshow, it can be made to work but it pretty intrusive on my DirectShow functions. DirectShow is heavily used by HDlink/NeoScene.
Old February 18th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Does seem to be a 720p issue. All the footage that is playing back fast is 720 30P. Tried a 1080 30P test clip and it came out fine. Yet however many times i uninstall and clean my registry, re-install, and re-install the speed fix i was given by support a few days ago, the problem is still there.

Ive updated my support claim twice and called and left two messages but still have not heard back from them, what is the average time i can expect to get a call or email? Is there any way to get on the phone with someone?

PS. I uninstalled all codecs i think would interfere w/ cineform and still no fix, so this may not be a conflict of programs problem like i thought.
Shawn Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Use the ticket system, if there is something we can't do very email, support with request a remote login session, which is far more useful than a telephone call. In the mean time download AVIFRATE (AVIFrate - Video software and downloads - VideoHelp.com), a free tool that allows you to reset the playback speed in the AVI header.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 04:53 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Re: Any programs / codecs known to conflict w/ Cineform?

Hi Shawn,

I have had similar problems with Neoscene. Originally, I tried it last year on the trial version and I had major problems with converting files from my Sony Z5E (1080i @ 50Hz). I put the problems down to the fact that I had just done a major upgrade to my edit box hardware (new mainboard, processor, RAM, GTX470). I vowed to trial it again once I got around to killing all the software on the edit box and reinstalling.

That time has now come.... I killed Vista 64 and reinstalled. This left my RAID array and USB drives intact obviously. My system now has this installed:

Vista 64 Home Premium (fully updated from Microsoft)
AVG 2011 Free (fully updated from AVG)
Internet Explorer 8
Media Player 11
Latest Quicktime download
Latest Neoscene trial

I tried again to convert my HDV files that I captured from the Sony Z5E a while back. While it was converting, I went for a browse on the internet. When I looked back to HDLink, it seemed frozen. The blue bar certainly wasn't moving. I killed it through Task Manager and rebooted. On my second attempt, it processed through 40 of the 50 odd clips and then just froze. It's all a bit bizarre and hardly fills me with confidence about integrating Cineform into my workflow. Too bad because it sounded like the perfect compliment to my edit box because I use MBLs quite a lot and I wanted to see if Cineform worked better than editing standard HDV.

I have since uninstalled Neoscene and installed CS5 Master Collection.

I know plenty of people will tell me to log a support call with Cineform but to be honest, if it doesn't work on a clean install of Vista 64 then it's not exactly a professional product. At least, it's not a product I would want to introduce into a professional workflow.

I can't speak for Neo HD or higher versions. Maybe I should try them before I get back into the full swing of editing?

Kind regards,

Andrew.
Professional Wedding Videographer and Wedding Video Production Services in Bolton, Manchester and all over the UK

Last edited by Andrew Prince; March 2nd, 2011 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes corrected
Andrew Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 04:55 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Forgot to add my system specs, for what it's worth:

Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.06GHz
12 Gig Corsair XMS3 RAM
Asus P6-X58D-E mainboard
nVidia GTX470

Kind regards,

Andrew.
Professional Wedding Videographer and Wedding Video Production Services in Bolton, Manchester and all over the UK
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:47 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hello Andrew,

I have a current issue with Panasonic p2 footage in MXF format that I am trying to convert in HDLINK using NEO4k. The resulting CIneform AVI under my WIndows machien plays back the video about 3 times faster but the audio is normal. I have a bug report with Cineform on this one. I went back to an older build of the software about November time and the problem is fixed.

Obviously I want to use the latest for new fixs etc. I'll have to wait for CIneform to work out this bug.

Leo
Leo Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 06:57 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Leo,

That's interesting... It certainly seems like Cineform NeoScene is a work in progress! :-) I also saw a post somewhere that NeoScene is intended for the prosumer market. Still, it should work with my old HDV 1080i50 footage wouldn't you think?

Another bit of information I forgot to add.... I also installed Diskeeper 2011 Pro before Cineform NeoScene. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Regards,

Andrew.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:56 AM   #9
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Support has a build that addressed HDV issues, which we understand are not working in the release. So please file a trouble ticket Support Center
Old March 3rd, 2011, 12:47 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi all,

This CineForm idea isn't really going anywhere. I don't really have the time to try and get what is essentially a brand new product installed on a clean and patched OS working. I logged a call with CineForm and they sent me a link to download build 5.0.4.261 which I think is supposed to fix issues with converting HDV 1080i PAL to Cineform. Alas, it's less successful than the latest version.

If you have a similar problem and you want to tie in with my support reference number, it's #611-8308823. I've attached a screenshot of the recent issue on this build. Probably something wrong with my clean Vista 64 install. Poo! :-(

Kind regards,

Andrew.
Attached Thumbnails
Any programs / codecs known to conflict w/ Cineform?-cineformerror.jpg  
Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:22 PM   #11
Sponsor: CineForm

send a sample .mpeg clip to support (on your ticket) and I'll see if we can convert it. if not, that will tell us that the problem is in the build. if it does work, that will tell us something is going wrong on your system. either way, we'll figure it out. please send me a sample. thanks.
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:46 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Okay, Cineform Support can play my Sony Z5E HDV 1080i PAL MPEGs captured using Premiere Pro CS5, so it must be a Windows problem. Fresh install on Vista 64 Home Premium.... it doesn't play the MPEGs. Ergo, it MUST be a Vista 64 Codec problem. However, Vista 64 plays DVDs and it will play the 1920 x 1080 HD MPEGs that I rendered out from my 1440 x 1080 (1.333) HDV timeline.

When I can find a 64 bit codec that will play HDV MPEGs captured using Premiere Pro CS5, using Windows Media Player 11, I bet Cineform will kick into life....

Regards,

Andrew.
Old March 19th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi all,

The saga continues.... I upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit (that is, I bought Win7 64 OEM and rather than install it, I upgraded Vista 64). Works a treat, except with my footage.

Before, I couldn't play Premiere Pro CS5 captured HDV 1080i from my Sony Z5E or Sony FX1E. Now with Win7, I can finally play my HDV footage through Windows Media Player. However, Neo won't convert them.

Screenshot attached. I'm out of ideas and I think I will just have to continue editing straight HDV.

Regards,

Andrew.
Attached Thumbnails
Any programs / codecs known to conflict w/ Cineform?-neo_fault.jpg  
Andrew Prince is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase