R3D Scripts, colorspace & FL question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old February 24th, 2010, 06:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

R3D Scripts, colorspace & FL question

Hi,

Can anyone explain please (or tell me it doesn't matter) - what happens regarding colorspace when I use the batch file conversion option for R3d files (in this instance I'm using the HD 422(YUV) example).

If I should be choosing an input workspace curve in First Light to match the cineform file colorspace generated by the script, don't I need to know what that is? I did try to find out by looking at the custom script using the edit function as per the cineform note, but could not understand it.

On the subject of scripts and R3d conversion, when can we expect to see a menu based batch system (with all the options available in the command line version) , so that normal mortals can work flexibly with batches of files, without the need to understand command line syntax?
Geoff Gartside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

It is all handled by FirstLight / Active Metadata, you can use any output type, 422, 444, RAW And the colorspaces will be all matched. So it doesn't matter.

One do intend to replace HDlink one day with a tool designed for flexibly for file conversions (like ReMaster on the Mac.) R3Ds didn't fit in the existing conversion design of HDLink, so they put in scripts.
Old February 25th, 2010, 01:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks David,

If that's the case, what's the point of the various encode & decode options in the R2CF command line tool then?
Old February 25th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Some are for controlling of the Active Metadata defaults, but those are non-destructive so you can change them in First Light. All for maximum flexibility. The main non-AM controls, resolution, color formating YUV, RGB, RAW, do have to selected by switches. Maybe I don't understand your original question.
Old February 25th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #5
Regular Crew

That explains things fine thanks. I didn't appreciate that the options I mentioned (within the Red scripts) were metadata functions, which are of course non-destructive. So FL reads all this and allows me to change them. Great.
Old February 25th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Should also add...

Good forum, good support, good product!
Geoff Gartside is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase