HD Link rate change: 30p to 29.97 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old March 15th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #1
Major Player

HD Link rate change: 30p to 29.97

One of the most useful rate changes is 30p to 29.97. When I convert 30p footage from my Canon it automatically does this, but when I convert 30p footage from my Kodak it does not. Could you guys add a 30p to 29.97 slowdown to HD Link?

Also, the 30p on the Kodaks isn't always exactly 30p. Justifying the framerate to a useable number like 29.97 would be really useful when working with a lot of the cheap consumer camcorders.

Why do I care about these cameras? Because they are cheap and small and if one of them breaks when you are doing something crazy with them it is not the end of the world. They are exactly the thing that you want to use gaff-taped to a hang glider wing or a skate boarder's shin.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We could add that, but we are flat-out with NAB preparations at the moment. In Neo HD you can select 30 to 29.97 conversion manually. The rate change is called "24.0 to 23.976p (-0.1%)", but it is the same speed change from 30 to 29.97.
Old March 15th, 2010, 09:21 PM   #3
Major Player

OK. I didn't realize I could use the 24 to 23.97 preset. Thanks.
Old March 15th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We thought user would be confused by "-0.1%" slow down, so we added 24 to 23.976 as an example, plus we didn't think any camera manufacture would be silly enough to produce a 30.0fps camera. :)
Old March 15th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Talk about silly, my one Kodak camera does 30.1 fps.
Old March 18th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #6
Major Player

Well I finally got around to converting some Zi8 footage with the 1% slowdown today. Voila, perfect 29.97! I really like this little camera. It's pocket sized, unlike the Flip it has image stabilization, and it also has a mic input with a VU meter and level control. On top of that, the mic input has a DC bias voltage so you can use the really high quality mics they sell at microphonemadness.com and get terrific interview audio. Now I can actually get it in a format that plays nicely on my editor. Thanks!
Old November 2nd, 2010, 07:07 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Corrupted scan line

When I use HDLink 5.2.1 to convert Zi8 to CF and select interlaced as frame format the last scan line is corrupted. If I use Vegas to convert to CF no problem.

E B

Edit: Problem was gone when I turned off Adjust size and quality for optimal playback in Vegas 10 display.

Last edited by Edwin Baldwin; November 2nd, 2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Example
Edwin Baldwin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase