First Light video tutorial? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old April 8th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

First Light video tutorial?

I have a couple questions I want to know about First Light.

1. If I have one clip that I want to have different color settings on in my timeline (if I use it several times in the timeline), how do I do then?

2. I think First Light seems to be incredibly creative but I find it hard to understand this tool. I work now with the Magic Bullet looks, and now I want to transfer my approach to First Light, will CineForm possibly make a video of how it works as Read Giant has done with the Magic Bullet looks (please make a video on getting started)?

Best Regards
Mikael
Sweden
Mikael Bergstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #2
Major Player

If you want to use the same clip with different First light settings on each time you use it, rename the clip for each time and place the settings that you want for each time you use it. That's what I would do.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

1) If it is exactly the same frames used two or more times, the clip will physically need to be duplicated and assigned a new Global Unique ID (GUID.) The CFRepair tools can do this, although not user friendly (from a shell -- "cfrepair old.avi new.avi -newGUID" -- at least it is fast.) In the upcoming Neo v5.0, FirstLight adds control points so single clip can have different color corrections at different points in clip time. Of course FirstLight doesn't total replace you NLEs existing color correction, both can be used at once for the desire effect.

2) Most find FirstLight very intuitive, but it is not a replacement for Magic Bullet Looks, they do quite different things even though they both have color correction filters at their base. I not know sure what training you need, but we will be producing a serial of FirstLight video as it doing a lot these days.

P.S. Jerry, copy and renaming is not sufficient and FirstLight uses an in frame GUID to identify CineForm media -- it is one key element that makes FirstLight so different form other CC tools.
Old April 9th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #4
Major Player

David,

I've accumulated various GUID colr files in my databases. Are they permanently "linked" to video files somehow? Is there any way of telling if they are now orphaned? And should I care?

J
Jay Bloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Don't worry about the extra .colr files, they are so tiny, thousand fold smaller than a single frame of compressed video. So if you had 10 of them (10 databases per clip) for every lost clip, you would only use 1MB for every 1TB of deleted video. They are so small we are even thinking of hosting the .colr files in the cloud (one day), just like the Dropbox is a lite version of things to come. If you want to purge them, similar current a new database per project, delete the database when the project is completed.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase