Just ordered Premiere Pro CS5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old April 12th, 2010, 04:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Just ordered Premiere Pro CS5

I have ordered PPRO CS5 (Upgrade $299) and reading the supported hardware page I found this-

to top
CineForm
CineForm's software-based products provide unmatched visual fidelity and delivers real-time multistream editing performance within Adobe Premiere Pro. All CineForm products are enabled by its underlying codec technology known as CineForm Intermediate and CineForm RAW, delivering an online digital intermediate workflow for HD, 2K, and 4K material that runs on affordable desktop computers.

CineForm's software products target the needs of media professionals working in high bit-depth acquisition and post-production formats up to 4K spatial resolution, including independent filmmakers, broadcasters, event videographers, and post-production facilities. CineForm has recently added its Active Metadata™ architecture into Prospect 4K which allows non-destructive color adjustment "layers" (such as White Balance and 3D LUTs) to be added non-destructively to media content. Similar in concept to an Adjustment Layer in Photoshop, Active Metadata plays in real time within Premiere Pro without the need for rendering.

Key benefits of a CineForm workflow include:

•High-performance yet affordable software-based solutions that require no specialized hardware
•Ability to work with online-quality media all the time, with no need for proxies or conforming
•Ability to combine any resolution, frame-rate, and camera format — CineForm Intermediate conforms your media into one easy-to-edit project
•Format conversion utilities included: telecine removal, spatial resampling, deinterlacing, and many others
•Active Metadata architecture for non-destructive color workflow plus 3D LUT generation from Premiere Pro timeline
•Efficient all-digital workflow that saves time and money
•Support for real-time monitoring and playback in After Effects

Not sure if this was ever listed on Adobe site before but it is now.
Dan Herrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I also ordered mine (I have the production version) - if you check your order status at Adobe.com you will see the ship date is April 29th! I am assuming that is the download. Newegg.com has the ship date as May 3rd.
Tom Santopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

yea, I hated to do it, but I also just ordered the Production Suite... plus I'm having to upgrade the workstations to 64bit, so I also have coming a few WD VelociRaptor 600GB's and the Windows 7 OEM
packages..
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2010, 03:03 AM   #4
Major Player

As a member of the PP Beta team ... you are going to love CS5.
The stability and speed is awesome.
Old April 20th, 2010, 05:47 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Brun View Post
As a member of the PP Beta team ... you are going to love CS5.
The stability and speed is awesome.
I sure hope so. Stability is number one on my wishlist for PP CS5. Having been consistently upgrading since PPro 1.5, I have never been satisfied with the stability of PPro. I have a super computer but the software still seems to be the weakest link.

I really hope (as I do with every new release) that those problems are behind us.
Old April 20th, 2010, 08:05 AM   #6
Major Player

We have re-engaged with Adobe collaboratively in a stronger way than in the last one or two releases of CSx. I think our mutual customers will benefit. It is nice to see that Adobe has added additional reference to CineForm on their site. I'll echo Gary's comment - CS5 is pretty nice.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #7
Major Player

When is CS5 shipping?
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewat View Post
I sure hope so. Stability is number one on my wishlist for PP CS5.

I really hope (as I do with every new release) that those problems are behind us.
Amen John.

I have had up-to-spec systems, as per Adobe, for every upgrade. Yet I endured nerve-wracking fragility for year after year. I'm not a programmer so I may not be using the correct terminology, but those in the know refer to the notorious memory leaks that ultimately lead to crashes or crippled performance.

CS4, with all its compatibility issues DID stabilize to a huge degree when installed on a modest Win7 64-bit platform.

When CS5 was first announced with the astronomical hardware "requirements", my first reaction was that virtually any software would be stable with that sort of horsepower and didn't give a lot of consideration to fundamental improvements to the software.

Now that the minimum requirements have been revealed to be more down-to-earth, the role of the Mercury scheme is a bit more clearly defined, plus the fact that Adobe has seemingly opened their doors to developers like Cineform.... everything seems to be pointing in a good direction.

After adding Edius, I just had to shake my head in wonder.... "why couldn't this have been CS4???"

I'll be doing the CS5 upgrade, but primarily for the Photoshop and After Effects improvements (which are potentially incredible). Premiere will be available to handle archived projects and perhaps ease into the workflow.

I hope it will instantly wow me and I continue utilizing Premiere as I have since Premiere 4.0.

And while the preliminary opinions of CS5 are probably the most enthusiastic of any Adobe release, every single one has held the promise of being "the one".... solving the stability issues, etc. So pardon my cynicism.

If CS/Premiere accomplishes what is touted, I will be back here singing its praises
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #9
Major Player

Im sure you will be singing its praises! ;-)
Old April 20th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #10
Major Player

Gary, as an actual user of the software and being "one of us", your single sentence has instilled more confidence than months of pre-release publicity from Adobe.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #11
Major Player

I ordered CS5 last Friday, and after a talk with Adobe customer service (to verify my university staff credentials) they said CS5 will start shipping the last week of April. And should arrive at my door the first week of May.

But I can't start using it probably until October :(
Old April 21st, 2010, 01:34 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Baggen View Post
Gary, as an actual user of the software and being "one of us", your single sentence has instilled more confidence than months of pre-release publicity from Adobe.
Thanks for that.
I wouldn't have said it if I didn't believe it.
Old April 21st, 2010, 06:09 PM   #13
Major Player

Gary
I did the $299 upgrade through Amazon.com. They said it will ship July 12th. What more software will I need to buy to make it work? I mean will it work even though I won't buy anything extra like say Cineform? I don't have that.
Thanks
Harry
Harry Lender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 12:27 PM   #14
Major Player

HI Harry.
I do not know your setup so I do hope you checked the machine specs before you bought it??
No you don't need Cineform and you don't need the latest Nvidia card.... but if you did have the graphic card you would notice massive improvement and the real time abilities. When it comes to the Cineform part... I haven't tested their latest offering... but I am looking forward to hit. :-)
Old April 22nd, 2010, 03:46 PM   #15
Major Player

Some are suggesting over in another thread that the Cineform plug-in could be almost/equally as efective as a Mercury compatible GPU. If so, I reckon that might be a better investment than the card. Do you reckon?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase