Blu-Ray Export Help - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 5th, 2010, 02:43 AM   #16
Major Player

Can someone do a test for me. I have converted all my footage again, rendered everything in Pr and exported 15 seconds of the footage onto a BR ISO file.

If I play this ISO file @ slow speed on the PS3 via a LCD TV the reds and oranges flicker. Its the same on the PC using PowerDVD

http://www.northern-loop.tv/Video/br%20test.iso - Right Click save as

Can someone else burn that BluRay ISO and play it slow-mo?
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #17
Major Player

Okay I have finally started to get somewhere with this damn flickering on exported Blu-ray discs!

Let’s start from the top

My workflow is use HDLink to create a M2T file.
Then I use the convert feature inside HDLink to create the large AVI files.
These are the files I use to edit in CS4.

So I spent a couple of weeks editing these CFHD files and I come to export. I normally just export the AVI (1440*1080 1.33 HQ interlaced) then import that file into Encore.

So I setup Encore to suit my file and exported it onto a Blu-ray RW disc.

I play my BRs via the Sony PS3 that is connected to a Dell 37" LCD TV 720p/1080i

This is where I started to notice on panning shots where there were reds/oranges the picture would flicker around those colours only. The rest of the picture would seem fine.

Deleted all the CF AVIs and used HDLink to convert the M2t into CFHD files.

Come back to the PC and render again - Another 8 hours, export, and same problem.

Opened project and render again - Another 8 hours, export but pick progressive fields. Although this seem to make the flickering less noticeable the rest of the picture wasn’t right.

Come back to the PC and removed all effects render again - Another 8 hours, export, same problem.

So after this I scraped my project and went back to basics.

Opened a project dropped in the same 4 files (AVIs) that I saw the flickering on exported to CFHD and import to Encore - Flickers!

Another new project but this time I used the M2T file that HDLink created from my camera and with no effects exported - NO FLICKERING! Result, getting somewhere.

Then with this M2T file still in the project I exported a MPEG2 file and this was fine.

So I thought I'd still use this file but now export it into a CineForm AVI - Dropped in into Encore and it plays without any flicks!

Uninstalled Cineform and reinstalled and started from the top - Same results.

This time I uninstalled Cineform but went back to build version 4.2.0 b237 - Same results.

Opened all the emails I had with links to different build versions and most were dead bar CineForm 3.4.9. b193
Used this old version of HDLink converted my original M2T file into a CFHD avi and dropped into Encore – Plays without any flickering.

Tried to download a couple of build versions after 3.4 but the links are dead so can’t test it any further.

So the long and short of it HDLink 3.4.9 b193 will convert the M2T into a AVI without causing this flicker. It displays like the fields are out of sync.

So I have 3.4 installed and I'm going to to a full test when all these files have converted but from the small scale tests I'm pretty sure its going to be fine.

4.3 and 4.2 have the flicker when converted M2t into CFHD file and exporting it to bluray. I can't test anywhere between 3.4 and 4.2 as I dont have the installer.

Its going to be another very late night!
Old May 6th, 2010, 06:39 AM   #18
Major Player

Yes reverting to HDLink Version 3.2 has fixed the issue of flickering or wrong fields being converted from the M2T to AVI.

I'll log a support call for this as it’s a fault in the HDLink program.

I need it fixing as version 3.2 wont convert MTS files from my CX105!

This bug is actually putting me off upgrading to version 5 and even using Cineform completely. I have spent too much time on this.

/Not a happy customer.
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #19
Major Player

Please see attched picture - Left clip is the AVCHD from the camera and right clip is the CFHD. See how the picture is misaligned?

At first I thought it was just the camea but after exporting it to bluray I knew something else was wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Blu-Ray Export Help-hdlink-convert.jpg  
Old May 6th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #20
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Misaligned? Please work with support, as I'm not in support, and I'm not seeing any of your errors and/or understanding your report. File a trouble ticket here Support Center
Old May 6th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #21
Major Player

David I have already logged a ticket.

You can see the edges of the car? Its got a ghosting effect over it like the frames out are of sync. Still causes the flickering in the bluray disc.

I had used 2 cameras on this shoot Sony Z1 and CX105 which is what you are seeing in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Blu-Ray Export Help-hdlink-convert-v2.jpg  
Old May 6th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #22
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I was looking for a misalignment. That is a just an option for displaying the two fields, set to full res and it goes away, it is not the cause of your issue, plus we have always previewed fields that way. You may have you field interpolation set incorrectly, set to upper field first. Please wait for your support contact, they will have more experience helping you as this clearly an isolated issue (no others chiming in) and therefore it is of less help to others to use up forum space.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase