Neo... "Checking License" issue with FirstLight at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 23rd, 2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Neo... "Checking License" issue with FirstLight

I've read a previous post describing the Neo... "Checking License" issue and how to fix it by replacing the app withing the Cineform\Tools folder.

I'm currently evaluating NeoHD...looking to upgrade from NeoScene. I've been using FirstLight successfully for about 24 hours. I was trying to set up a drop box linked to my DBs and LUTs. I ran the "Move LUT and DB" VBscript linked in the Vimeo tutorial. After I ran the script, I am now experiencing the "Checking License" issue. FirstLight will not run. Did I possibly cause this by running the script?

If not how can I resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Chad Jones
Chad Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 07:10 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I don't believe it is related. You have confirm you LUTPath by using RegEdit, but even if it was wrong it wouldn't cause a license issue. Try the FirstLight linked in the other post.
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

OK...thanks for the response. So I have two additional questions. FirstLight was working fine, finding the license. And then it stopped, I thought I caused this with the VBscript, but since that's not the case...could I have possibly done something else?

As far as using RegEdit to configure the LUTpaths, I'm not exactly sure how to do that. I've used RegEdit to delete files causing issues with a previous NeoScene installation. Would it be helpful to clear out the registry entries for FirstLight and then reinstall it?

I've also tried the copy of FirstLight linked to the other post. This one does not work either.

Thanks again,
Chad Jones
Old May 24th, 2010, 08:38 AM   #4
Regular Crew

When I filed a help ticket on this, Jake told me to shut off the UAC, User Account Control. By pulling the slider all the way to the "off" position" First light stoped the licence checking and crashing every time I tried to open it, and it works fine now.

(try turning off user account control in windows control panel as well.

jake)

Greg Kubitschek
Greg Kubitschek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

So this is a little weird. I downloaded the newest version of FirstLight David posted yesterday. Still I was getting the Checking License issue. I decided to take a look at RegEdit. I found the LUTpath entry and edited the LUTpath back to C:/users/public/cineform/LUTs. After I did this, I tested out FirstLight again, it found the license, started up and worked perfectly. I don't know if the two issues are related, but this solution worked for me.

Thanks,
Chad Jones
Old May 25th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We don't think it is related to the splash screen issue, although it is important that LUTpath points to a location that has read and write privileges. The default location does (where you restored it,) but if you move it you may need to test the permissions. Windows 7 pretty much own the disk, you don't, not many locations are R/W enabled by default.
Old May 25th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We found the issue, and we should have 5.0.2 out tomorrow that addresses this. Contact support if you can't get around the issue and need a patch ASAP.
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for the follow up.
Chad Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase