Frozen frames in playback at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 27th, 2010, 01:33 AM   #1
New Boot

Frozen frames in playback

I'm trying to reprocess some older Cineform files that I made last year. These files playback fine in WMP, but in VirtualDub and Vegas 9.0e, they have frozen sections, where between some transitions, the video is frozen to the first frame.

With this bug, I'm unable to render the clips to a new (smaller) format.

Does anyone know what this problem is and how can I correct it? This seems to be a decoder bug.
Michael Gyori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Contact support as I never heard of this.
Old June 1st, 2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have exactly the same problem playback freezes on the first frame of the transition. Take the transitions out and the footage plays fine. I am still dual booting and the same footage works with no difficulty in v 3 and 4 but happens in v 5.0.1.257
Ray Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:50 PM   #4
New Boot

Playback freezes

I am having the same issue with Neo4k version 5. I had to switch back to Prospect4k version 4, no problem there.
Bergen Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #5
Major Player

I am seeing freezing after attempting to render a clip with an effect on it. In fact it seems anything rendered within PPro is causing play back problems.

I have a ticket at support but thought i'd add it here too, perhaps there are more with something similar?

cheers
paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #6
New Boot

Has anyone had any luck resolving frozen frames in PPro playback? I don't see the issue with Prospect 4K, but I deactivated Prospect when I switched to Neo 4K and now with my new Neo 4k serial number, I can't reactivate Prospect. I have 4 days left. I have tried the latest Neo 4K build or at least I think it is the latest: Neo4Kv503b259-100604. Same problem. Is it possible that having CS4 and CS5 on the same machine is an issue?

To clarify because this has come up. When I load Neo 4k, I first uninstall Prospect. Likewise, when I load Prospect 4k, I first uninstall Neo 4k. Is it possible some component or registry setting is not uninstalling properly? The frozen frame occurs during a cross dissolve. Is it possible that since the cross dissolve is a cineform cross dissolve that the prospect version is incompatible with the neo version? Any ideas appreciated. I am running out of time and have a near deadline.

Using Win 7 64 bit, i7 920
Old June 9th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Unless you have deleted the folder, you should be able to reinstall Prospect and it will be authorized. This is what I did and it worked fine. I use CS3 and 4 together with no difficulty. I am in production too and although I have a ticket in haven't had time to try the new release yet which is what was suggested.
Old June 9th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #8
New Boot

Thanks Ray. Unfortunately, part of my story is that I had to reinstall my OS. I deactivated before reinstalling the OS; so, the folders are gone. Good information going forward, thanks again.
Old June 9th, 2010, 10:45 PM   #9
Regular Crew

It's no help now but I would suggest you need to sort out a backup for your system disk. Doing this has saved me countless times when installing new software releases. Have you tried installing Prospect? Software vendors don't always tell it how it really is, sometimes they just tell you how they would like it.
Old June 9th, 2010, 11:31 PM   #10
Major Player

I've still not managed to find out what the problem is but i managed to duplicate it on a completely different machine. Try this

create a new sequence under a normal preset, add some video (non cineform), add and effect that requires rendering. render and playback is as you expect.

now create a cineform sequence, add the same video and effect. When i render this i get frozen playback/stuttering.

this is Neo 5.0.3

The second sequence is rendering to cineform as an intermediate, the first is rendering to mpeg i frame.

I'm assuming that my problems are local to my machine, but as i mentioned i tried this on a friends machine with a Neo trial and the same thing happened.

It's a very simple test, i wonder if some people can clarify that it works for them okay (i assume it does!)

I don't have CS4 and in both cases both (different spec) machines were running an older cineform under XP with no problems. Both were fresh installs of win 7 and master collection CS5.

cheers
paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 11:39 PM   #11
Major Player

Actually further to my last post i think i just got that working.

Don't use a cineform preset but create your own using the General Tab and select the CineForm RT engine. This is the first time i've seen rendered cineform playback play properly.

I have no idea what the setting differences are though between my set up and the preset?

Perhaps give this a go?

paul

EDIT: I take that back, i tried a longer clip with magic bullet on top and it froze as usual. Also the UI freezes a lot when running under a cineform sequence.
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase