DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Cineform and First Light Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/480318-cineform-first-light-questions.html)

Chris Barcellos June 13th, 2010 12:17 AM

Cineform and First Light Questions

I edit with Vegas Pro 9e, 32bit. Tonight, I was editing a project. All my files had been captured using Canon 5D, and converted with Cineform. At the time it was build 256, and I have Neo HD. I rendered my project time line. Questions follow:

1. I assumed with my installation of Cineform, I would have a list of Cineform codec variations available in Vegas, that would allow me to select a native HD 1920 x 1080 24p. All I have show up is HDV 24p, and I have to modify it to my self made codec render setting, changing the form 1440 x 1080 to 1920 x 1080, setting the PAR to 1 and adjusting the average and maximum bitrates (7,000,000 and 10,000,000). I, of course, have saved it as my own preset, but can anyone comment whether Cineform should be actually coming up in my render selection.

2. Second, First Light was acting funny tonight. Before I upgraded to build 259 tonight, the the program was saying most if not all of the files I had converted for the project had to be fixed with the Cineform .avi fixer tool. I never had this occur before. Can someone explain what is going on here.

3. Next, if I render a project file using the Cineform codec, am I not supposed to be able to take that rendered file into First Light to use some LUTs on it ?

4. If I render a Vegas timeline to an .avi file using the Cineform codec in Vegas, and then subsequently take one of the component files of the project into First LIght, does a change I made to the component file, carry over to the rendered file ? I was thinking not but I have had some crazy changes pop into some rendered files recently, and I am not figuring out why .

Chris Barcellos June 13th, 2010 12:43 AM

Followup:

About 19 out of 30 of the files I converted from the 5D are being reported as being uncompatible and needing processing to be repaired. Message "is not a valid CineForm file, is corrupted, or needs CFRepair upgrade."

Leo Baker June 13th, 2010 03:41 AM

Do the 5d video clips, have audio with them? I had the same problem, where the audio would be before the first frame and it created this error.

The work around that David Newman from Cineform suggested was that I loaded the clips Cineform converted clips into Virtual Dub and do a direct stream copy.

Here is the post
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform...ata-error.html

Leo

David Newman June 13th, 2010 09:40 AM

Chris, send a before MOV and after AVI that has this problem to support. You can use ftp://ftp.cineform.com/pub/incoming and tell support that the file you've uploaded are called and detail of this problem. I have not seen this for a long time, but Leo is correct that it might be to do with a large amount of audio pooling at the beginning of the file before the first video frame. However this is not a camera type issue, but I be a system performance/disk related bug of ours (is your PC either atypically slow or fast?)

Chris Barcellos June 13th, 2010 11:48 AM

Hi David:

This audio problem could be the issue. I was shooting with Magic Lantern on my Canon 5D. One of the things that happens with Magic Lantern is that we gain control of sound levels, as you may know. However, what will happen is that the levels will sometimes initailly start off hot on the takes, and then adjust down to the Magic Lantern settings. This is a Beta version of Magic Lantern.

I had not had any of these problems with First Light and footage until this last week when I shot two films with the beta version, so it makes sense that sound encoding may be the issue. I will go ahead and send a couple of the errant files to your support this evening when I am back in town..

Chris Barcellos June 15th, 2010 01:37 PM

David I sent two files and and filed a trouble ticket on this metadata insufficiency issue last night.

In the meantime, if I render a file out of vegas using the Cineform Codec, should it allow correction in First light ? With files that are damaged according to first light I can edit and render in Vegas out to another Cineform file, but it has an issue in Firstlight too.

Chris Barcellos June 20th, 2010 07:34 PM

I have had a trouble ticket based on this problem in. Jake requested a file which I have up loaded and also sent by YouSendit. I have not heard any thing back. To follow, I updated to latest version, and reencoded with the same version. Same result.