FirstLight Not Working at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 13th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #1
Trustee

FirstLight Not Working

I installed NeoHD last night on my new HP Z800 so I can test it before I buy. However, when I open FirstLight, the splash comes up and says its checking for license and stays open for 20s or so and then goes away. If I click on the splash, it goes away as well.

Anyone know why its not working?

Btw, HDLink works just fine - I converted about 30GB of AVCHD to Cineform.

If it matters, here are the PC specs:
dual 6 core Xeons, 8GB ram, Quadro FX3800, Win 7 x64 Pro, Areca 1680ix
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

What version of NeoHD did you install as this should have been solved several weeks back? Think the patch was in 5.0.2, and we are now at 5.0.3 (with 5.0.4 out in a few days.) If you are running the latest, try running FirstLight as Administrator (once.) Does that help?

When you start HDlink, how much time between double clicking and the splash screen showing?
Old June 13th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #3
Trustee

Its 5.0.3 - I downloaded it last night. Also, while the splash is displayed, one of the cpu cores is at 100%. Run as Admin does not change anything.

For HDLink - right now, it appears <1s but took several seconds after I restarted my pc.
Old June 13th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

And running as Admin? Trying to determine if this is something we know about or something different.

The fast startup of HDLink points to a set up issue with FirstLight not a licensing problem (as HDLink and FirstLight request the same license.) Often running FirstLight as Admin can solve this issue -- only need to do it once.
Old June 13th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #5
Trustee

Nope - Run as Admin does not change anything.

Any chance the various HP pre-installed enterprise management software could be causing an issue? I ask because of what I just experienced trying to install Firefox. After double-clicking the exe, it extracted and then a small window opened asking to "Run as" giving me a choice of current user or typing in the user name and password. It said I might not have the necessary permissions. Doing either option caused the install to stop. However, selecting the firefox.exe and 'run as admin' worked just fine. I have the user account control turned off and my account is administrator. I have installed firefox on my PCs and have never seen this screen.
Old June 13th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Sounding like something is weird on your PC. Try running the NeoHD installer as Administrator. Also when you start FirstLight and the splash is open, look in Task Manager -- you should see one instance of FirstLight.exe and one of FLPlayer.exe. If you see extra copies, kill those. If you don't see FLplayer.exe that is another clue to what is happening.
Old June 13th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #7
Trustee

I uninstalled NeoHD and then reinstalled using Run As Admin, and FirstLight still doesn't work. Also, FLplayer does not appear in task manager (and yes I have the 'show processes from all users' checked).
Old June 13th, 2010, 06:17 PM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

So this is something we haven't seen before.

Try this:
http://www.cineform.com/downloads/FirstLight.zip

Download and unzip and replace FirstLight.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\CineForm\Tools

Launch FirstLight as usual.

Where is says "No license" previous look for a new error message number.

David
Old June 13th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #9
Trustee

I replaced the FirstLight.exe but still not working. However, after roughly 20-25 seconds, the splash screen disappears and an error message opens saying FirstLight has stopped working and windows is searching for a solution. This error message never happened before.

"Where is says "No license" previous look for a new error message number" I don't understand what you mean. It never says 'No License' but it does say "Checking License" on the FirstLight splash screen.
Old June 13th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #10
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Your PC is currently broken of FirstLight, it will take some changes to work out way. Nothing we can do until we get 5.0.4 out (few days) as the other components seem to be too old to run that custom build on FirstLight. 5.0.4 will report an error number in place of "No License" is something fails on FL startup, that was what I attempting to run on your system.
Old September 9th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #11
New Boot

Have you tried installing Quicktime? I know on their website that is says Quicktime is only needed for the MacOS, but it seemed to solve the issue for me on a PC. Don't know if that even makes sense - maybe is was the accumulation of things I tried.

Steve, I feel your frustration. I paid $3,000 for Neo3d and couldn't get it to even open! Didn't get any response from my support ticket or my phone calls, and after 2 very frustrating days I was about to call my CC company an cancel my purchase when I stumbled upon this Quicktime solution. Definitely disappointed in the level of support for such an expensive product.
Ron Niebrugge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 08:57 PM   #12
CTO, CineForm Inc.

QuickTime is required for both platforms -- we just updated the website. I'm sorry you had problems get through to support, they got backlogged from the holiday's early in the week (and IBC starting up.) If the every have any troubles this forum is here, CineForm engineering staff are regularly contributors, plus you can always find me on twitter. Do use the ticket system over telephone for support, as we prioritize support tickets, then email, then voicemail, it is the only we can service the size of our customer base. If you do need us on the phone, we will follow up on a ticket call you, but normally in conjunction with a remote session into your PC/Mac, as that is the best way to determine and fix issues.
Old September 13th, 2010, 01:07 AM   #13
New Boot

Uninstalling, then reinstalling QT fixed it for me--I had the same symptoms. Drove me crazy!
David Tayler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #14
New Boot

Thanks David. At the time, it took a couple of days to get approved to post to this forum, that coupled with a lack of response to the support ticket got me very frustrated. Now that I have worked through the issue and am using the Neo 3d product, I am having a lot of fun - I have been able to piece together some pretty neat 3d nature footage. Great product and easy to use! Thank you.
Ron Niebrugge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #15
Tourist

FLPlayer.exe has stopped working

I am having the same problem. When I try to import an MOV containing Cineform video, I get a windows pop-up that says FLPlayer.exe has stopped working and will now close.... close the program or search for solution online...blah, blah, blah. I would like to use Cineform because no other compression format compares and I like the non-destructive corrections and NLE-syncing workflow of Cineform. And I can record it in the field with my portable recorder. The workstation having this problem is an machine with dual 4-core opterons, 16GB RAM, Quadro FX 3700 (driver 190.38), Win7 Pro x64, and Quicktime version 7.6.8. Please help if possible!
J. Nephi Griffith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase