Direct Recording Using HDLink at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old July 5th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Direct Recording Using HDLink

Hi guys

Does HDLink allow you to record live from HDV camera?

If so, how do I use it to capture two camera feeds onto the one PC?

Is there another solution if this is not possible?

Thanks

Gil
Gil Reitsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi, Gil. Since no one else has chimed in I'm sure you've come to the conclusion that what you want to do isn't really possible with HDLink.

HDLink is capable of recording from a live input, but not through firewire as for as I know. It requires a third party IO from AJA or Blackmagic via HDMI or HD-SDI. It works great with a single stream. We just finished shooting our new feature, UE's Blood Rites, directly to Cineform from my rig's HD-SDI out. Beautiful images.

I'm curious to know if it might be possible using the capture utility of your NLE. I've never tried it, but I've had friends that have captured directly into PPro and Vegas via firewire. Obviously your camera needs to support live out via firewire.

If you're hoping to record from multiple camera directly to Cineform, that's a tough one. Norpix has a partnership with Cineform, so I'd think they would have a multi-camera solution like Streampix5, but I bet it's pricey and requires specific cameras and hardware. Other than setting up a computer for each camera, which still isn't cheap, I'm not sure what a good solution would be.

Maybe someone else on the forum might have a solution?
Chad Haufschild is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase