Cineform Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 15th, 2010, 11:56 PM   #1
New Boot

Cineform Question

Ok im trying out neohd with premiere cs5 im shooting in 1080i/50 16:9 25fps
what cineform preset should i use for cs5 hdv 1440x1080i (25fps) or hdv 1440x1080p (25fps)?

Also when i have captured my clips and place them on the timeline i get the redline showing should i then do a render?

when i then export what settings are best for bluray and what is best for dvd?
Mark Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 03:54 AM   #2
Regular Crew

If you are capturing your video with HDLink then use the preset of your recorded video.

If not then you will render to the preset you chose in CS5.

Should be no redline if your catured in HDLink to the same setting you shot with.
Dan Herrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #3
New Boot

ok thanks, yes i will capture in cs5 and choose the same preset as source video (50i 25fps) so i would select the cineform 1080 50i 25fps correct?

then export to h.264 blu ray
Mark Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

There's a comment from Cineform in the thread link below that you can use any preset. Not just the Cineform ones - unless you are editing 3D.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform...questions.html

As long as you use a preset matching the format you shot - 1080 50i 25fps - you should be OK.
Steve Pesenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 06:52 PM   #5
Regular Crew

With the new process flow in CS, you shouldn't export a video from Premiere to import into Encore. You should create a project in Encore and import the timelines from Premiere. This way you preserve the chapter marks you added to the Premiere timeline. Additionally, you then create a high-def project in Encore and are able to render the final disc files in both Blu-Ray and DVD format without any extra authoring in Encore.

This also has the advantage, when you preview the disc project in Encore, of allowing you to go back and fix the Premiere timeline without having to do another render. I sometimes forget to add 15 frames of black to end of my Premiere timelines after a short fadeout. (I add the black frames, so the screen blacks out before jumping back to the disc menu during playback, which looks better than leaving a faded out frame displayed on the screen, while the player shifts gears.) If I'm importing the timelines in Encore, I don't have to do another render.
John Quandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 08:34 PM   #6
Regular Crew

John,
Are you saying that you use the same sized menu's for both BluRay and DVD's and Encore changes the size of the menus if you change from BluRay to DVD in the preferences? If so , do you use 1920x1080 for the menu's and then Encore automatically downscales the menu's to 720x480 Par 1.2 if you select DVD?

I guess also, Encore has to downscale the footage. I wonder if that's as good as using HDLink?

Thanks for your help.
John Rich
John Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 12:09 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Yup, I design the menus in HD and let Encore downsample them in the DVD authoring automatically. Saves a lot of time letting Encore generate both the Blu-Ray and DVD discs from the same project.
John Quandt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase