Proxies with Cineform at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 19th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #1
Major Player

Proxies with Cineform

I notice there is a new "make a proxy" tab in the HD-Link preferences. I understand that this is to make proxies for formats that are difficult for editing software to handle directly (like 4k 3d). I have an underpowered core2duo system that struggles sometimes with regular hd files, especially if I try to use First Light. How do I make use of the proxy feature?
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 09:04 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

First convert your source to CineForm at the highest quality you need. Then re-import those CineForm clips in HDlink, and set Make Proxy, Fast Scale and set the "Resize Video" resolution to "Proxy 960..." or similar. Set the quality to medium or similar (experiment to find the size and data rate you like best.) Click start. They will be made very quickly, as fast as you drive will go on many system (the CPU many show a low amount as the disk is the bottleneck.) Proxy generation on modern PCs can be well over 200+ fps is the disk is fast. This proxy can be corrected with FirstLight and the resulting image will be the same on the masters. File naming is identical to help NLE proxy to online swap-outs.
Old October 20th, 2010, 07:32 AM   #3
Major Player

So then the actual swapping between media files and proxies would be done as a separate process? Would I need to use a proxy swapping script for instance if I'm in Sony Vegas?
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 11:53 PM   #4
Major Player

OK, I found what I believe is the best solution. On the following link, there is a script called "Batch Replace":

Free Scripts For Sony Vegas

This will let you choose a new location for your media files and replace all the files once. Very cool!
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase