Cineform RAW workflow - First Light not working at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 28th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #1
Tourist

Cineform RAW workflow - First Light not working

Hey everybody!

This forum looks like a godsend. I just shot a short on the SI-2K and it was my first time working on the camera so the workflow is alien to me. I'm working with Premiere Pro CS5 on a Windows 7 64bit machine.

My first instinct was to use FirstLight to do my initial metadata editing, but everytime I try to open a .mov file from the camera the flplayer refuses to show any image, but instead just shows a gray square where the image should be. If anybody has had this a solution would be great! I tried installing Neo4K and Quicktime but neither helped.

But here is the other question; Do I really need to work within First Light? Can i edit my RAW metadata from within Premiere Pro CS5 or some other software/NLE?? I tried to access it through "playback settings" in PP like some tutorial showed but I didn't get the same options as in that tutorial (it was for CS3).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Krummi Jonsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

FirstLight is the only activate metadata editing tool. It can be accessed through CS5, but that just launches FirstLight for the selected clip. So you will need to fix you display issues. As I have heard of this error before, you should file a trouble ticket with support. My only guess is you graphic card is not supporting the default surface FL uses. You can switch it to using OpenGL. With a clip imported in FL, go to the View menu, and select "OpenGL Playuer Preferences". In the new pop-op, select "Use OpenGL for 2D Playback", and click "OK".
Old October 29th, 2010, 03:31 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Krummi,

Re-wrap the mov to AVI in HDLink and it should work - it does for me anyway.

cheers
Rohan
Old October 29th, 2010, 07:19 AM   #4
Tourist

hey, it seems like it's a GPU issue. I'm using a laptop which has Nvidias Optimus graphics switching technology and swithing from the Nvidia m310 to the integrated Intel graphics chip fixed the proplem. But now I'm using a far inferior GPU to do my editing which is kind of a bummer.
Krummi Jonsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You should look into driver updates as FirstLight (all CineForm tools) to not do anything custom with GPU intensionally to avoid this type of issue. We use the standard Video Mixing Render (same and Media Player) or opinionally OpenGL.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase