Premiere CS5 Crashes With Cineform Files When Nesting Sequences at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old November 20th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #1
New Boot

Premiere CS5 Crashes With Cineform Files When Nesting Sequences

Each time I try to nest a sequence with Cineform files Premiere crashes. Without Cineform installed I can nest these sequences without problems. The crash also happens with files set to offline.

I'm running a bare Windows 7 64bit with only Premiere, AC3Filter and Quicktime installed. Premiere is updated to latest 5.02 and Cineform is the latest weekend Neo4K Beta 5.2.2.282.

Anyone with similar problems or ideas what might be causing this?
Kris Haamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That beta is no longer the latest, although the that is not likely the issue. Please file a trouble ticket as I do think support knows something about nested sequence issues. Support Center
Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:39 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I believe that I have done some nesting of CineForm clips in CS5 for multi camera productions. I can't say for sure, I'll have to check. If so it was with an earlier build than is now released.

I recently discovered a new way to nest clips as a result of watching a PluralEyes tutorial. Come to think of it, that was with a CineForm file and I had problems. I was evaluating PluralEyes and the problems were show stoppers so I elected to wait to buy PluralEyes until they make it an embedded plugin for PPro.

You may already know about these methods to nest but I'll briefly note them here just in case.

The first is what the PluralEyes tutorial had where you have two, three, or four clips on separate tracks superimposed over each other on the same sequence. You then select all of the clips and right click to get the menu item "Nest."

The second method is what I have traditionally done through the ages. You have the same sequence arrangement with multiple clips, each on its own track. You then create a new sequence and place the earlier sequence on it creating a nested sequence. Then select the line nested sequence and right click to find "Enable Multi Camera."
Old November 22nd, 2010, 05:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hello Wesley,

I reported this bug to Cineform support in July 2010. You can check out the thread here which David replied to.

The fix David I think mentioned was to use desktop mode in Premeire pro cs5. I'll have to find my post on here.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform...ml#post1555796

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo Baker
Hello David,

Thank you I have got the email download links now. Did you manage to find out about the clips when converted into nested sequences and the cross dissolve or transitionbeing added that it crashed.

Thanks,

Leo

It is crashing in the Adobe part of the SDK, so I forwarded the information to Adobe. Hopely they can point out what we are going wrong or get a fix for us. This is not in Premiere itself, but in the stub code we use to hook to the SDK, so turn around time should be faster.
Old November 29th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I confirmed that I was in fact experiencing a bug with nesting sequences. I also found that the bug was fixed with build 272.

I had downloaded the footage in September and verified all was okay. Editing began in November after I had already downloaded and installed build 272 but my footage had been downloaded with the earlier version. Everything worked okay until it was time to export. The export would get as far as 4%, hang, and eventually return an error message.

The fix was to download and replace the original footage using the new build.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase