Neoscene and Kaspersky at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 13th, 2011, 12:37 PM   #1
New Boot

Neoscene and Kaspersky

Has anyone else had a pproblem upgrading to the latest version of Neoscene for the PC (V527b290). Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011 will not allow installation. Reports Net.Worm.Win32-kdab.qvi and immediatly deletes the .exe file?

Have opened a ticket with Cineform and haven't heard. Need to work on a project today.
Bob Bossart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

99.9% a false positive. Sometime anti-virus tools don't like the security software we use.
Old January 13th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #3
New Boot

OK. So it sounds like there is a component within Neoscene that has nothing to do with converting video files (security software) that must have behavior that resembles Net.worm
Old January 13th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We don't install the security software, instead in encrypts and wraps key CineForm components, it is the obsucation of the internal that a few anti-virus packages get confused over.
Old January 13th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #5
New Boot

We had an incident in Boston recently where a bomb sniffing dog alerted to a package in the cargo area at Logan Airport. Well the airport was shut down for most of the afternoon while news helicopters circled the area showing the bomb squad sneaking up on the package that had been carefully brought outside the cargo building. Several hours later it was reported that there was nothing other than dirty socks and towels inside the bag. I imagine the bomb sniffing dog is now looking for another line of work.

I think Cineform and Kaspersky work this out together. I'm just a "passenger at the airport" ticked off that my flight has been delayed for 4 hours.
Old January 13th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Please send Kaspersky a false report notice, as we have no relationship with the company. Users reported to Avast when it once did the same thing -- it is failure of their tools not ours. As the dirty pair of socks here, we can't be responsible for everyone nose calibration. :)
Old January 13th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
99.9% a false positive. Sometime anti-virus tools don't like the security software we use.
Norman which i use sees NeoScene as a 'probably new virus'.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #8
New Boot

David-

Thank you for your very prompt reply to my question. I did not expect to hear from a Cineform represenative.

I will, however, disagree with your logic here. In the "old days" customer service meant making sure the buyers of the product being sold were satisfied and certainly never put at risk. In this case it sounds like you are saying that problems incountered by users running certain Anti-Virus software are not Cineform's problem. OK - In summary there is no intention by Cineform to fix this issue and the user assumes the responsibility (and the risk) of sorting this out on his own.

If I turn off my Virus protection and attempt an install, any catastrophe that results is my fault.

I don't like it.
Old January 14th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #9
Major Player

Bob,

I hear what you're saying, as NOD32 has, on several occasions, prevented me from downloading and installing Neo HD, flagging it as a virus. It's worrying to have to disable one's anti-virus to install software, based on the word of the software vendor that their software does not contain a virus! After all, I remember a few years ago when a certain vendor (I believe the name of this company began with the letters MS!) released DVDs of their product, complete with a virus!

When several anti-virus programs flag a downloaded app, I always ask myself "how can the vendor be so sure they are not infected?" After all, surely they themselves are relying on an anti-virus package (and a good development environment!)? Who is to say their anti-virus software caught everything?

That said, I reported Neo HD to Eset, and haven't had problems since, so I do believe it was a false positive and that Cineform products are virus-free.

Last edited by Julian Frost; January 14th, 2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Typos
Julian Frost is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase