Product opportunity with NeoScene and MXF at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old March 4th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #1
Major Player

Product opportunity with NeoScene and MXF

There is an issue with Premiere Pro 5 and the MXF files from the Canon XF series cameras. The MXF files seem to take up lots of system memory and can slow down editing for larger projects. When MXF is converted to Cineform avi it edits normally in PP5 with no memory issues. Maybe Adobe can fix this in a future release, but this is not certain.

But you need NeoHD or higher to handle MXF. Some XF camera users are scrambling to find a solution but are reluctant to spring for NeoHD. Perhaps a version of NeoScene that handles MXF is timely.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Re: Product opportunity with NeoScene and MXF

MXF camera users are not NeoScene users, we see a large difference here. Not to say we won't make it easier of MXF pro camera users in the future -- can't say how.
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
MXF camera users are not NeoScene users, we see a large difference here.
I'll buy that. Some MXF users are just feeling their way through PP5. Most of that crowd seems to use FCP anyway. I'm happy with Neo4K and PP5 and my XF camera so I don't have an issue. Anything you add to the MXF experience will be a plus.
Old May 28th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #4
Trustee

Just to clarify, am I right in thinking that Neoscene will not convert .mxf files to cineform (I use the Canon XF300) - but NeoHD will?
I'd like to take advantage of First Light and would be happy to consider an upgrade...
Old May 28th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson View Post
Just to clarify, am I right in thinking that Neoscene will not convert .mxf files to cineform (I use the Canon XF300) - but NeoHD will?
I'd like to take advantage of First Light and would be happy to consider an upgrade...
My understanding is that that Neoscene won't convert .mxf files. But Neo will - you can download the trial version to test file conversion and FirstLight.

The original post was about a problem in Premiere Pro CS5 where using the Cineform avi file worked better than .mxf; but Adobe fixed this in CS5.5. But I'm hooked on FirstLight and usually edit with avi.
Old May 29th, 2011, 03:02 AM   #6
Trustee

Thank you Charles,
I will download the trial version and check it out.
Old May 29th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #7
Trustee

Well, I've downloaded the trial version and it's really excellent. I'm using it with Sony Vegas Pro 10.
One query to which I haven't been able to find an answer is:
What if I want to use the same source clip a number of times, but with different grading?
It seems as if Firstlight adds the chosen effect to the source clip, so this would carry the same look whenever I accessed it. I may be totally dumb about this and am probably missing something obvious, so please indulge me!
Old May 29th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson View Post
What if I want to use the same source clip a number of times, but with different grading?
FirstLight has keyframing so you can have different grading on different parts of the clip. If you need different grading for the same part of the clip you need to copy and rename the clip.
Old May 29th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #9
Trustee

THank you once again Charles - that sounds very sensible. That's what I'll do then.
Old May 29th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Take care. Interestingly if you render a file that has been unchanged in edit, back out to Cineform, it will carry through any changes you make to the original. While I haven't tried it, that may be true of any copy made. It was explained by David Newman once that its a matter of searching system for the original code, and it changes everything that spawns from it.

That is why in Vegas I will make a minute change of something and rerender. I'd be curious to see if others are running into same thing.
Old November 27th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #11
Trustee

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I just want to clarify: Neoscene does not work with Canon MXF files but if I upgrade to Neo4K it will work fine? And I don't need to use the Canon XF Utility to import the files first? I can jsust drag and drop straight from the card?

For a format touted as "Industry standard" I am surprised by just how many speedbumps I've hit with footage from an XF100. Somebody I shoot with regularly owns the camera and every time I get footage from them I end up with a headache.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I just want to clarify: Neoscene does not work with Canon MXF files but if I upgrade to Neo4K it will work fine? And I don't need to use the Canon XF Utility to import the files first? I can jsust drag and drop straight from the card?
That's right, although the Cineform product to upgrade to is now named neo, not Neo4K.

I use the Canon XF Utility to import because it is easier to use than drag and drop, especially if you have lots of clips. But drag and drop will work as well.

Last edited by Charles W. Hull; November 28th, 2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old November 29th, 2011, 04:37 AM   #13
Trustee

Thanks Charles. I don't have the Canon software because I don't own the camera, but I sometimes get delivered the footage. I'm not exactly a fan of the folder structure, but luckily the stuff I'm editing from this camera is all long-run live events so all the clips are in one folder generally.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:29 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I use the Canon XF305 a lot and I find that if I point HDLINK at the top CLIPS folder on the card and tell it to select folder, then it converts all the files in all the sub-directories nicely without further intervention. No need to rummage in sub-directories. Or are you talking about something else?
Ian
Ian Lewis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase