Cineform decoding on mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 1st, 2011, 11:40 AM   #1
New Boot

Cineform decoding on mac

Hello, I have several 2k cinefrom files encoded on a PC.my question is, if I have this cineform files on mac will be possible to encode them in another format (like prores) without having a license on the mac system? These people asked me that and I can give the uncompressed DPX 10bit sequence or a cineform file, which i rather use because is smaller and still high quality. The problem is that they don't have any cineform product on their machine and they still want to convert whatever format i give them in prores. I don't have a ma c so I don't know if I can even play CF files without any license. Thank you!
Matero Materassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 12:38 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Cineform decoding on mac

I've never tried it with a 2k file, but I do it with 10bit 1080p and 720p stuff all the time. All you need is Neo Player installed on the mac. It's free and you can download it from Cineform's website. It's just a decoder so you can play back the file. Like any codec, if you can play it you can transcode it to whatever your system supports.
Chad Haufschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Cineform decoding on mac

You do need to be careful on how you do the decode, and whether the source is AVI or MOV. AVI files are normally read through the QuickTime interface, and QuickTime refuses to decode AVI files to anything other than 8-bit 422.
If they use FCP, it will decode the files to the 32-bit floating point, 4444 YUV that is also native to ProRes, so that will work with the free player.
Craig Davidson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase