HE MOV not recognized at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 8th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #1
Major Player

HE MOV not recognized

That's HD MOV not HE MOV

I'm a PC and a second shooter gave me output from his iMovie after he edited original Canon MOV files. He says they are HD Mov files and i don't know why but Cineform totally doesn't recognize them...is there a workaround?

Last edited by Harry Simpson; June 9th, 2011 at 06:24 AM.
Harry Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: HE MOV not recognized

if you have final cut on MacOS you have additional mov codec that you cannot have under pc, but if work under imovie, from that i remember you save in mov codec that are avaible on both platform.
open it with quicktime player, and check movie info to see what kind of codec he use.
if you have quicktime pro you can save it in no compress mov, or directly to cineform.
Carlo Macchiavello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #3
Major Player

Carlo,

I tried to load it into Quicktime on my PC and Quicktime doesn't even recognize the .MOV!

I've asked the other shooter to just provide the .MOVs from the camera and he's going to do that.

Thanks
Harry
Old June 11th, 2011, 04:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Harry, try to add the trial of this codec Calibrated{Q} XD Decode Overview
may be your partner use it under imovie...
but it's very strange be cause usually this kind of codec under mac are avaible only if you have final cut installed.
Anyway, if you have a small clip to download, i can load under mac and i can tell you if is a codec that is possible to have under window or not.
you can send me a PM
Old June 11th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #5
Major Player

I don't own a MAC so I'm dependent on the MOV being standard. Quicktime on my PC won't recognize the file! Weird eh?
Old June 12th, 2011, 03:14 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Harry,

QuickTime .MOV is a file format that can hold many different types of video compression. If the MOV file was imported into iMovie then there's a really high probability that it was converted into a MOV file with the 'Apple Intermediate Codec' as that's the video compression that iMovie is optimized to work in (i.e. 'AIC' MOV files). If that's the case, then you need a Mac OSX computer (but you don't need FCP on the computer) to read 'Apple Intermediate Codec' compressed MOV files, as that video codec does not exist with QuickTime on Windows.

If you open the MOV file in QuickTime Player 7.6 on Windows - and the MOV file opens and you can hear the audio but it shows black on the video screen (and you may get a message box saying you need to download additional software to decompress the video) - you should be able to go to the Menu Bar in QuickTime Player and choose "Window->Show Movie Inspector" and the 'Movie Inspector' window should pop-up and in that window, under the 'Format' section', it should state the video and audio formats in the MOV file. If it says 'Apple Intermediate Codec' then you'll need a Mac OSX computer to view the video in the MOV file.

However if you try to open the MOV file in QuickTime Player 7.6 - and the MOV file does not open at all and you get a message saying 'This is not a file that QuickTime understands' or something like that - then that usually indicates a bad or corrupted MOV file.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software
Greg Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Simpson View Post
I don't own a MAC so I'm dependent on the MOV being standard. Quicktime on my PC won't recognize the file! Weird eh?
Dear Harry,
Mov like Avi are not a standard, are a simple containers, with audio video content that can encoded in many different ways.

Like i cannot read an avi with video or audio codified with a custom windows codec under macOS, i cannot read some mov where audio video are codified with custom Mac only codec under windows.

cineform is multiplatform codec, but many other codec are not implemented on both platform in the same way, then something is windows only related, other mac only related.
i'm downloading file that you send me and i can tell you more later.
Old June 13th, 2011, 02:43 AM   #8
Major Player

PC Quicktime does not recognize XDCAM EX wrapped in MOV container. So far we have not found any solution to it except to rewrap it on Mac to mp4 files or transcode to other codec like ProRes.
Old June 15th, 2011, 06:40 AM   #9
Regular Crew

try Calibrated{Q} XD Decode Overview
this may help you in your mixed environment Pc-Mac
Carlo Macchiavello is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase