Quality display from premiere using Aspect HD 3.3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 19th, 2005, 08:12 PM   #1
New Boot

Quality display from premiere using Aspect HD 3.3

Hi,

I have a dual opteron250 system with a matrox APVe editing HDV in PPro 151 with Aspect HD 3.3. The monitor setup are dual 19" LCDs (analog connection) with program out to a 42" HD plasma (HD analog component connections). The quality of the video displayed from the premiere timeline is substancially "lower res" than if the same video clip is played from tape to the analog component outs of the camera. Is this normal. I actually have to make excuses to clients who have seen the camera footage. Is it something that i have missed in setting up: the parhelia, premiere, aspect hd or ???.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated....

Also (for 64bit matrox experts), i have set up a dual boot system with the 64bit version of XP... a week ago i noticed that the 64bit driver for the APVe was out. I installed it, but was unable to find any control for external video viewing. I want to compare premiere (Aspect HD) HDV editing in a 32bit and a 64bit enviroment. Have i missed something in the 64bit driver for the APVe

Thanks for any comments

David
DTX Media
David Cleverdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 09:41 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Aspect HD is simply outputing in preview mode. Go into the Playback Settings control panel and switch "De-interlace video while scrubbing" off -- that option is for people who don't have a Parhelia of out HD output device -- halving your output resolution to remove flicker. Playback will still be in preview mode for 1080i sources. If you are using 720p source you can also disable the preview (within the same control panel when in 720p modes.)
Old September 20th, 2005, 06:52 AM   #3
New Boot

thanks

thanks, will give it a try and report back.... also i know that you guys have a dual opteron system with the APVe...... have you tried it with xp 64bit... and any success... any performance increases in working the 64bit side???

thanks for the quick response....

David
DTX Media
Old September 20th, 2005, 07:00 AM   #4
New Boot

Parhelia APVe output

One more quick question.... you commented that aspect hd will ""Playback will still be in preview mode for 1080i sources."" we use sony fx1s at 1440x1080i... are we stuck with "preview" resolution. I need to note that i have not had a chance to try you previous instructions yet... i will do so shortly...

thanks
Old September 20th, 2005, 07:08 AM   #5
New Boot

Setting change worked

David,

thanks for you quick response.... the setting change worked well.... the quality is not quite the same as coming off the camera (maybe i'm being "picky") but a great improvement.... thanks for your help.... and if you have any thoughts on working in xp 64bit....

Thanks again,

David
DTX Media
Old September 20th, 2005, 08:21 AM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Aspect HD will use a progressive preview mode during playback, this was designed to make Aspect HD run on the widest range of PCs -- it has no impact on the final export quality which is always set to maximum. Very few Aspect HD customers have dual Opteron systems, that is the typically the configuration of our Prospect HD customers (are you interested in upgrading.) Prospect HD can upscale 8-bit HDV to 1920x1080 10-bit, then allow full control over the preview mode (mainly because the min system spec is higher.) Aspect HD will add preview mode control in an upcoming release (just as we did for 720p), we were just waiting for more systems to be dual core or dual proc. Your question make me realize we should simply detect the CPU configuration and other the extended ability if the system can support it.

We have upgraded Aspect HD to be compatible with 64bit XP, but we haven't started using 64bit extensions. Aspect and Prospect HD work fine under 64bit, I haven't notice any significant performance increase.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 05:26 PM   #7
New Boot

what is the upgrade costs from aspect to prospect.... our work is mostly corporate/industrial... any real benifit to using propect??

thanks

David
Old September 22nd, 2005, 05:57 PM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Whether you upgrade from Connect HD to Aspect HD or from Aspect HD to Prospect HD we will give you full credit for your earlier purchase. Prospect HD is desgined for broadcasters and filmmakers. 10-bit compression and processing allows for high quality color correction and image processing, avoiding contouring/banding that 8-bit systems are prone. Plus Prospect's HD-SDI I/O options aids when delivery, mastering, capturing or sharing HD media via standard such as D5 or HDCAM. So if you doing and a lot of effects/color work or you need HDSDI I/O then Prospect will help you a lot. Otherwise Aspect HD and Prospect HD share similar editing features. Prospect HD supports editing material up to 1920x1080, whereas Aspect is limited to HDV resolutions which stop at 1440x1080.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase