A way to batch process from tiff files into CineForm codec at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 1st, 2005, 09:02 PM   #1
Trustee

A way to batch process from tiff files into CineForm codec

Hello David, I hope this is your thread!

So, how can I use the CineForm codec with our raw output from the dvx 100HD? can I send you a raw file and then you guys will look at the headers and build in support for a way to convert it? or do you have a standalone program that will do this? from jpg? tiff? raw ?

At this point it would seem best to me to convert from the raw 10bit files as that would be the cleanest way to do it IMHO, right now we capture raw, convert to tiff and then have to open AfterEffects and "encode" into CineForm, problem is the raw conversion happens on a MAC, not PC, this is an Issue I know unless you have a CIneForm codec for apple?...

anyway let me know your thoughts. I am beta testing and helping in the design of the GUI for the final project, the output is AMAZING and blows away the Panasonic VariCam IMHO. I think for digital cine app's this thing is gona kick some serious butt, really now that all the new "HD" gear is mpg2-HDV and or interlaced video....
Obin Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2005, 11:49 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We do have a stand-alone tool for batch converting a range of image types, although it is not available commercially yet -- it is used by the scanner company when convert film scans to CineForm. It has some support for 16-bit RGB TIFFs, TGAs, and raw formats. If you send a short sequence I can make any modification it might need.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:40 AM   #3
Trustee

this is good news, what about the fact that it's a raw image, can you do the de-bayer on it along with the CineForm conversion?
Old October 2nd, 2005, 09:53 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We are working on something more interesting than de-bayering upon RAW to CFHD conversion, we have a bayer version of the CineForm codec for direct compression. This offers interesting work-flow benefits. Contact me directly if this of interest to you.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 05:51 PM   #5
Trustee

David I need your email address, Juan at reel-stream.com needs to speak with you.

thanks
Old October 2nd, 2005, 07:07 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Just click on my name on this forum to send me an email (I will reply with my direct email.)
Old October 10th, 2005, 08:36 PM   #7
Trustee

David, looks like I am going to be doing a CineAlta Job, I would use the F900 camera t 24p 1080p, would ProspectHD work with a rented HDCAM deck with footage shot on the f900 camera? could I capture edit/CC/Composit and EXPROT without dropped frames using a dual-core AMD 275 x 2 motherboad and your bundle of Prospect and the HD-SDI card? would that mother board provide the RAID power to edit in your codec? what is the datarate of the cineform codec@1080p24fps?

thanks for the info, yours in one of the best codecs in the world IMHO

If I am only working with 1080p24fps could I get away with the 248 AMD chip...it's LOTS cheaper then the 275 dual-core..would that same motherboard work with an upgrade at a later date to the 275?(The Tyan on your site)

Also what is the price for the ProspectHD software without the Xena HD-SDI card and with it? looks like from your site your setup would be 3499$ but then I click "with" the Xena card and it reads 5299$!! I don't understand...can you help break it down please...
Old October 10th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes to everything. You can even use Opteron 248 to capture 24PsF at the full 1920x1080 10bit (although Opteron 250s or 252s are extra nice.) So you can import your 24P HDCAM tapes into a fairly inexpensive PC over HDSDI for real-time compression to a average of 16MBytes/second -- if you capture directly from the camera head the data rate would be a little higher (HDCAM compression much CineForm compression a little easier.) The workflow of rent cameras and decks (the expensive part) yet owning an affordable editing system is what CineForm is working to enable.
Old October 10th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #9
Trustee

so what is the "REAL" deal on your Prospect HD package dollar wise WITH the HD-SDI card? and control of the HDCAM deck etc?
Old October 10th, 2005, 10:15 PM   #10
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Call the office tomorrow, pricing depends on the parts your needs. Prospect HD ranges from $2k to around $6k.
Old October 11th, 2005, 06:57 AM   #11
Trustee

I will do that, thanks!
Obin Olson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase