Encoding Cineform AVIs with Free GoPro Studio? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old November 11th, 2014, 06:45 PM   #1
New Boot

Encoding Cineform AVIs with Free GoPro Studio?

A few years ago I adopted Cineform as my intermediate codec of choice for several reasons. Although Resolve can read my existing AVIs just fine it cannot encode new ones due to an apparent license limitation on the free version of Cineform in GoPro Studio 2.5.3 (cannot encode in a 64bit app).

On my previous system running Windows 7 and Studio 1.2.1 I was able to encode all my clips as Cineform AVI, although I cannot remember if I did this via Premiere or possible Digital Fusion, etc. The problem is that using the current vesion on my new Win 8.1 I keep getting the following error... "This installation is not licensed for 64-bit CineForm HD encoding."

This is for my own demo reel and home video editing so I can't justify the expense. It appears that Premiere Pro CC 2014.1 added native Cineform support (QT only) so I guess I could rent that for a month to do my encoding then keep editing in Resolve...but if I go that route I'd probably just edit in Premiere as well since I already know my way around it.

Just to be clear I only need 1920x1080 10bit 4:2:2, so in theory the "free" version of Cineform should suffice like it always did in the past. I just haven't found a program that won't throw the dreaded "not licensed for 64bit" error. I have tried Blackmagic's Fusion 7.5 and Resolve 11 but of course they are 64bit. GoPro Studio won't read 80% of my native source material so that's also a no-go to use as a conversion app.

Any recommendations?
Mitch Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 01:20 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Encoding Cineform AVIs with Free GoPro Studio?

Have you tried DNxHD? Details here Avid | DNxHD Codec - Beauty Without Bandwidth, downloads here Avid Codecs 2.3.7 Download.

I licensed Cineform NeoScene some years ago (pre-Go Pro!) and was happy with it, but had to change when I went over to Linux as Cineform does not work on it. I found DNxHD which works well, did a side-by-side test against Cineform and preferred the DNxHD footage. I appreciate you may not. The only caveat, larger file sizes.

It's a free alternative, if it helps.

Dave
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 08:41 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi Dave,

Yes...Avid DNxHD is the codec I plan to fall back on if I cannot get Cineform encoding working again. I had originally evaluated both a couple of years ago and decided to go Cineform due to the fact that the free DNxHD was QT only and Apple has yet to fix the annoying gamma shift that brightens on playback under windows. I has also read reviews that seemed to support the opinion that Cineform was more efficient in size (as you say) and decoding overhead.

Thanks,
Mitch
Mitch Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 12:55 PM   #4
Sponsor: CineForm

There's a fix for this.

Download the file http://software.gopro.com/PC/renderVFW.exe.
Locate the following folder path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cineform\Tools​.
Place renderVFW.exe into the Tools folder at the above location.
The issue should now be resolved.

Contact GoPro Support for this if you need further assistance.
Jake Segraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2014, 10:17 PM   #5
Major Player

Just to mention:

I presently use Corel Video Studio Pro x7 (64-bit) for video editing on my 6-Core (AMD) PC running Win7 (64-bit). I had no problems using Cineform as an edit intermediate with an earlier version (v8.6.3) of the Cineform 64-bit vfw codec (installed with GoPro Studio 2.01.31).

I don't use GoPro Studio per se, but upon reading this thread I've just updated to the latest version (2.5.3.400) and encountered the same issue as the OP with the updated version (v9.0.5) of the 64-bit Cineform codec. I'd had the (v8.6.3) codec configured for FilmScan1, Progressive and Square Pixels (for my 1080/30p sources) in the VS Pro x7 Project Settings, but opening the configuration panel of the updated (v9.0.5) codec I received two error messages - "This installation is not licensed for 64-bit CineForm HD encoding", then something about the resolution not being permissible, and I noticed that the selectable options for Encoding Quality and Video Format were grayed out.

However, I can confirm that the 'fix' provided in the last post does indeed resolve this issue and the 64-bit Cineform codec now works with VS Pro x7 like it did before the GoPro Studio update.

Edit: Now that I have updated GoProStudio, I find that I again have a GoPro widget (with icon) appearing in my system tray (task bar) on Win7 start up. When I first installed GoPro Studio, way back when, I had a similar issue with the GoProCineform Status Viewer and updater appearing in the system tray at start-up. As I recall, the only unofficial 'fix' I could find (on some camcorder forum, somewhere) was to delete the concerned exe file from the Startup Programs folder to make it go away.

Now, in addition to the Status Viewer, I see that there is some GoPro Importer utility there as well, which I have no need for. Could someone from GoPro/Cineform please advise a 'proper' way to prevent these GoPro Studio utilities from running at Win7 start-up, if there is one?

Edit2: I've tried unchecking all of the options for importing and synchronizing in the GoPro Importer preferences dialogue, but it makes no difference. I see the exe file for the GoPro Importer is located in the C:\Program Files (x86)\GoPro\Tools folder. Should I just delete it?

Thanks.

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; November 25th, 2014 at 11:34 PM.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2014, 05:28 PM   #6

The status viewer and GoPro importer can be removed from the windows startup folder. Don't delete them from the tools folder though.
Old November 26th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #7
Major Player

I can only see GoPro Importer in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder, but deleting it does the trick

Thanks

Edit: But if I click on 'Show Hidden Icons' on the Win7 TaskBar and then Customize, to reveal the Notification Area Icons listing, both the GoPro Importer and GoProCineform Status Viewer are still listed and set to "Only Show Notifications'. What's all that about? Does it mean these utilities are still running in the background?

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; November 26th, 2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old November 30th, 2014, 06:12 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Worsley View Post
.....But if I click on 'Show Hidden Icons' on the Win7 TaskBar and then Customize, to reveal the Notification Area Icons listing, both the GoPro Importer and GoProCineform Status Viewer are still listed and set to "Only Show Notifications'. What's all that about? Does it mean these utilities are still running in the background?
'No answer came the firm reply' ! No bother - I've rolled back my PC to the state it was in before the GoPro Studio update. Can't say I see any difference in the performance of the Cineform 64-bit vfw codec per se, at least when used within VS Pro x7. Plus, I rarely use Cineform these days, preferring to use a lossless edit intermediate.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 06:32 PM   #9

sorry for the slow reply...I don't frequent this site as often as I used to. but the answer is no, they should not still be running, provided you restarted your computer after removing them from the startup folder. If you choose to reinstall the latest build and still have problems, reach out to me at the CineForm support site and help troubleshoot from there. i'll see your replies and questions much quicker there than i would here.
Old December 5th, 2014, 06:06 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Segraves View Post
...... provided you restarted your computer after removing them from the startup folder....
Yes, I rebooted my PC immedately after deleting the GoPro Importer file from the StartUp folder.

I'm inclined to just stick with the earlier GoPro Studio version, for now.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase