Converting MOV files from Phantom 4 pro by Cineform or GoPro Studio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 15th, 2017, 04:53 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Converting MOV files from Phantom 4 pro by Cineform or GoPro Studio

A few years ago I purchased Cineform to convert my Cannon 7D files from MOV to AVI to use in Vegas software. It worked great.

Now, I purchased a Phantom 4 Pro drone, filmed in MOV format (you get a choice, MOV or MP4) and cannot convert files to AVI using Cineform I purchased or using the free GoPro studio. When I try to convert both of these programs freeze.

I believe the codec options within Phantom 4 pro are H264 or H265. I think mine are set to 264.

Help!!!
Jeff Wisener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2017, 09:38 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Converting MOV files from Phantom 4 pro by Cineform or GoPro Studio

Hi Jeff,

I am posting this because it could be related. I recently purchased a Yi 4K action cam to use with various other GoPros, Lumix cams etc. When I recorded various formats on the Yi 4k, they froze my editing programme immediately I hit play. Didn't matter whether the clips were 4k, 2.7k or 1080, they would all freeze.

I found that by removing the audio track, the video would play fine and it seems that the audio on the settings I was using was causing the problem. The camera had High, Medium and Low settings for each format and by switching to medium, the problem immediately disappeared. It may well be worth checking ift you are having a similar problem with the Phantom camera. Might be of no use to you but worth checking :-)

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2017, 08:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Roger, thanks for the input. I turned off the option of audio recording on my drone so I am pretty sure that isn't the issue.
Jeff Wisener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 02:39 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wisener View Post
Roger, thanks for the input. I turned off the option of audio recording on my drone so I am pretty sure that isn't the issue.
It's just a thought, but turning the audio off at the camera didn't work on my camera as there was still a blank audio track there, it was only when I muted it on the time line or split the clip and removed it completely that it played. Apparently the higher level codec just wasn't readable by my editing programme. Even my LG tv refused to read it even though it plays back any other mp4 that I throw at it.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 03:28 AM   #5
New Boot

Maybe you can do the conversion with VirtualDub FilterMod https://sourceforge.net/projects/vdfiltermod
There is included decoder based on FFmpeg and it can use Cineform codec (vfw).
Anton Shekhovtsov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 04:15 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wisener View Post
Help!!!
If you can find a copy, it was a free download, of ClipTools v2.0 this might get you out of trouble.

https://www.toolfarm.com/blog/entry/...olz_convert_v2

It didn't do Cineform but could batch convert to many other codecs and was a pretty useful little tool kit. It could even do 3840x2160 MPEG2 @ 50p which is highly unusual. I recall using it with H.264 input and outputting Avid DNcHD and ProRes with it.

EDIT:

Just tried it with some GH5 H.264 422 10-bit footage that was uploaded by Neumann Films and it even worked with that!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Last edited by Christopher Young; October 16th, 2017 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Added info
Christopher Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase