Dual Core - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old December 27th, 2005, 09:41 PM   #31
Regular Crew

question...

is Premiere actually designed with multiple Cpu or Dual core cpu in mind??? My question is simple, can the current version actually utilize the full power of a 64 bit dualcore cpu without a major update?
Old December 27th, 2005, 11:10 PM   #32
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Premiere is multi-processor aware, but with Aspect HD it is much more so. Although 64-bit stuff has little value for video editing.
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:41 AM   #33
Trustee

Just harking back to the early part of this thread, Newegg lists both the ASUS A8N5X and A8N-E motherboards (NForce4 and NForce4Ultra, respectively) as having both Parallel-ATA and Serial-ATA RAID capability.

I took this to mean they will indeed support IDE drives in a RAID configuration. Can anyone confirm or deny whether this is so? (I have been planning on getting a A8N5X to make use of some spare IDE drives that I have.)
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2006, 10:53 PM   #34
Trustee

Both can be used in RAID. You can also do IDE/SATA combined RAID.
Old January 9th, 2006, 08:15 AM   #35
Trustee

Thanks, Ken!
Old January 9th, 2006, 08:35 PM   #36
Major Player

I've been browsing this thread for a while now. Currently looking at either buying or building a new machine for HD editing, using Cineform of course. For the least amount of money if possible.

Now I've noticed the Athlon X2 4400+ processors seem to be quite popular. Judging by the CPU shootout at www.tomshardware.com I can see why. They appear to offer better overall performance than the Dual Core Pentium range in the same price range. What I'm not sure about is how these processors differ from the Opteron range? Since I'll be using the computer for 3d work aswell, I've been comparing various AMD based workstations from different companies. Some have X2 cpu's, others have dual Opteron 242, 244, 250's etc, whilst some just have a Dual Core Opteron.

As I've not been following the latest updates in computer technology, all of this seems a bit confusing. How would a single X2 4400+ PC compare with with a dual Opteron 250 cpu based machine? How about a Dual Core X2 4800+ vs an Opteron Dual Core 265 or 270? They're all a similar price. Which would be the best option for HD editing + 3d animation?

Graphics cards are something else I've not kept up to date with. Ideally I prefer using just a single monitor to work on, rather than two with a line down the middle. Dell have just released a 30" monitor (same size as our tv) which is much the same as Apple's, but a lot cheaper. It looks impressive, but I'd probably rather buy their 24" model for half the price. Anyway, I think I read on the Cineform site where David mentioned that the Matrox Parhelia is a good choice for a video card as it offers component out aswell. He also mentioned the Quadra FX 540, but said there was a delay. Out of the two, I know the Quadra FX would be better for working with 3d aswell. But I believe both monitors support dual monitors? Are there other options that will support just a single monitor + component out without the delay for monitoring the output on a TV?

Any help here would be much appreciated.

Glenn
Glenn Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 03:40 AM   #37
Trustee

The reason Dave mentions the Parhelia was that it's fairly unique in supporting TWO monitors PLUS component out to a third (i.e. 3 monitors total).

However, if you only want one monitor, plus component out, then there will be more options (Newegg.com has a video card selection tool that will list them) ..... although I can't tell you anything about about their delays, sorry.
Old January 10th, 2006, 09:23 AM   #38
New Boot

Hi,

Here's a couple of links that describes in detail the differences between the Athlon and the Opteron processors.

http://www.devx.com/amd/Article/27340

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/136

Mick
Mick Guzauski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 05:18 PM   #39
Major Player

Cheers for the replies.

Mick, good articles. They do explain things a bit more clearly. Thanks for the links.
Glenn Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Harper
Any new updates about dual core, Premier Pro/Aspect performance?
Also, are any of the new dual core units hyperthreaded?
How about the Intel D 840 or 840 EE?
Intel D vs. AMD X2's??
Thanks,
Gary
So I can confirm that a 52 minute capture ended showing 73% had transcoded during the capture. It took another 15 minutes to finish the transcoding process.
This is with a dual core Opteron 165 overclocked to 2ghz with 1GB ram and video being captured to a striped raid drive.
Is anyone doing any better with Opteron 170 or 4400?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase