Cineform and laptop problem. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old December 18th, 2005, 07:14 AM   #1
Major Player

Cineform and laptop problem.

I'm trying to install Conect Hd on a HP nx6125 laptop (Sempron 3100+, 512MB RAM). It's got shared memory. My idea is to use it for some After Effects work. Very little if any editing. I don't have to capture on the machine at all. I'll do that on my dual core Pentium with 2GB of RAM. But I can't get the software to work. It installs but WMV player says it doesnt have the software to play back the footage. And After Effects can't display the material (but it seems to be able to encode to it).

I know the machine is not up to specs (it's got shared graphics memory) but I don't need any real time fuctionality really.

Thanks.
Old December 18th, 2005, 10:40 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes you laptop should work fine for the purpose you intend. Are you trying the new Connect HD 2.1 installer? What error(s) do you see?
Old December 22nd, 2005, 08:22 AM   #3
Major Player

pp 1.5 will it work on my lap top

Hi guys,

Recently been offered a reasonably cheap pp 1.5 upgaradable to a limited vesrion of 1.5-1 with cineform plugin on the internet. My question is this; I have 3.2 ghz laptop 512mb ram will this be able to a)cope with 1.5-1 b) struggle but still be usable in some capacity (if so what) c) none of the above.

Thanks, Greg Corke
Greg Corke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 10:39 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

1.5.1 is free upgrade over 1.5. You laptop will likely be "usable to some capacity" with 1.5.1 alone, you might have capture issue with HDV source (the biggest issue with slower PCs.) Upgrade to Aspect HD will make you laptop work fairly well and you can download the trial from http://www.cineform.com.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 05:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Munthe
I'm trying to install Conect Hd on a HP nx6125 laptop (Sempron 3100+, 512MB RAM). It's got shared memory. My idea is to use it for some After Effects work. Very little if any editing. I don't have to capture on the machine at all. I'll do that on my dual core Pentium with 2GB of RAM. But I can't get the software to work. It installs but WMV player says it doesnt have the software to play back the footage. And After Effects can't display the material (but it seems to be able to encode to it).

I know the machine is not up to specs (it's got shared graphics memory) but I don't need any real time fuctionality really.

Thanks.
Martin; sorry to butt in here... couldn't help noticing part of your problem is with playing back WMV. you wouldn't be trying to use Windows Media Player by any chance would you?

I'd suggest that you use Media Player Classic (I know it sounds so similar - but it's vastly superior) and/or VLC. Both are free.

I have 4 PCs, and I have been unable to get Windows Media Player to operate on any of them in a way that could be described as predictable. Microsoft has not done themselves proud with WMP10 that's for sure!!

BTW, I have ConnectHD installed on my P-IV 3.2Ghz 17" WS Toshiba laptop and it works fine. Don't have After Effects on that machine however, so can't comment about import problems of CFHD. Works fine with Vegas and importing CFHD avi into Lightwave on it though!!
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 09:24 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks David,

I'm going to give what you've said some thought over the Christmas period

All the best Greg C
Greg Corke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase