CineForm workflow questions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old April 22nd, 2005, 12:44 PM   #16
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes, if he color corrects in After Effect he gets 10bit support, however I would still use CFHD files as the source materials (not uncompressed) as there is no quality impact to import the Premiere project with CineForm AVIs. To get 10bit output using only Aspect HD with require the export to be uncompressed from AE. Staying with CFHD for step 2 will help the workflow.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 01:51 PM   #17
Trustee

I'm not following you David. Are you saying import CFHD files into AE and CC in 8-bit, then export to uncompressed 10-bit? Or are you saying somehow CFHD files can be CC in 10-bit as long as they are exported uncompressed?
Old April 22nd, 2005, 01:54 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I was just thinking doing color correction in uncompressed becasue it takes the heavy color correcting better than the CFHD wont it ????
Prospect HD is great David but $2500 is too much for me at this time.Especially that I own Adobe Video Collection so no point for me to purchase it one more time !!!
Gabor
Gabor Lacza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 02:13 PM   #19
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hodson
I'm not following you David. Are you saying import CFHD files into AE and CC in 8-bit, then export to uncompressed 10-bit? Or are you saying somehow CFHD files can be CC in 10-bit as long as they are exported uncompressed?
Yes to the last sentence. Put AE is 16bit mode, import CFHD files, CC in deep color (even though the orginal data was 8 bit) and output to uncompressed 10bit.

David.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 02:18 PM   #20
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabor Lacza
I was just thinking doing color correction in uncompressed becasue it takes the heavy color correcting better than the CFHD wont it ????
Gabor
No doesn't work that way. When you take 8bit compressed data and export as 10bit uncompressed you still have 8 bit data only it is 10 times bigger -- that is a pain without value. Take the orginal CFHD file into AE (in 16-bit mode) and you have extractly to same quality as if you converted it to uncompressed. The CC is performed in deep color, then you can export the results to 10bit uncompressed. Same output quality without the conversion step (until you need it.)
Old April 23rd, 2005, 06:35 AM   #21
Regular Crew

So If I CC in After Effects (16bit) and finish my video editing there, what is the point of exporting as uncompressed 10 bit???

Why cant I just export it the way it is in CFHD and import it to Audition for the audio editing and when that is also done I just

Import this CFHD audio and video file into Encore and make a HD-WM9, SD-DVD and D-VHS version!!!
Gabor Lacza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 09:48 AM   #22
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You can do this very thing. A good trick though is to add 0.4% noise to the final render. The deep color will be clipped back to 8bit when you export, the 0.4% noise with dither the 16bit signal so banding doesn't jump out in the 8bit final.
Old April 27th, 2005, 12:45 AM   #23
Major Player

Interesting thread, the aspect hd file is 8bit, but you can deep cc in after effects at 10 bit ( are you saying just because the file says 8 bit it is actually 10?) and then export to 8 bit? What is the advantage? Why would I want Prospect HD if I have AE pro?

Thanks
Mike
Michael Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 09:32 AM   #24
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Mike,

The techniques I described above do extend the usefullness of 8bit though the additon of noise, this trick has been known for a long time but it is hardly a replacement for 10bit work-flows. Only Prospect HD offers a true 10bit work-flow allowing deep color correction within Premiere rather than the more awkward environment of AE. Banding due to 8bit also commonly happens in dissolves and fades, and it is a pain to do them all in 16bit AE adding noise to cover 8bit limitations (note adding noise in standard 8bit Premiere will not work the same.) The Aspect HD compression only has 8bit I/O (per channel), such RGB 24 and YUV 16, whereas Prospect HD compression supports 16bit per channel I/O for very deep color. In Prospect HD processing is performed is 16bit per channel and sent to the codec that way, no 8bit truncation occurs.
Old April 27th, 2005, 06:33 PM   #25
Major Player

Thanks David, will a prospect hd trial be available soon/at all to compare the 2 (aspect/prospect)

Mike
Michael Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 08:20 PM   #26
Major Player

HDV workflow

Okay, I am finally starting to get into this now, and of course seem to have issues. So for you folks who are made things work, got some questions for you. So, I did a wedding yesterday and have now inputted the HDV data into PPro 1.51. I took a 2 minute piece and am trying output conversions to see what happens. So, I first tried wmv9 1080i anamarophic. It first took like 45 minutes to encode for this 2 minute clip. Ouch. But, when I went to watch this on my computer monitor, it really broke up on anything that was moving. So, I then did a microsoft dv avi output of the same click and it works just fine.

So, I am just starting this output and really have no idea what I must be messing up. Any help to get me point in the right direction would be great.
I am looking at giving them two outputs. One would be SD DVD. The other I thought would be MS HD for use in an I/O Data DVD player.

thanks in advance.

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 09:53 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
But, when I went to watch this on my computer monitor, it really broke up on anything that was moving.
Are you sure that's not interlace artifacts? Did you deinterlace the footage for output to the WMV file?
Mark Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 10:08 AM   #28
Major Player

Mark, it probably is interlacing.

Is there an option for this? All these different outputs.
The 720p seemed to work on the monitor. Not sure if I have a decent enough
video card either. So many darn things to learn.

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 11:41 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Did you use upperfield first for output? That can cause the problems you describe.
Old July 5th, 2005, 01:41 PM   #30
Major Player

I can not seem to find an upper field option in PPro output.

I did see in Procoder but it will not let me select it.

Man, this who thing with are you reviewing on a LCD panel, vs CRT.
So, are LCD panels always progressive?

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase