Problems capturing with Aspect HD 4.0 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 29th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Problems capturing with Aspect HD 4.0

HI,

I just bought a sony FX1 and I'm having trouble capturing video with aspect HD. It seems like only the first scene is captured correctly. all the other scenes are captured with artifacts (or neon transparent particles). It seems like the timing is not correct when it changes from a scene to the next one. The only way to get my whole video in good quality is by unchecking the "scene detection" (OFF). Its not the tape cause it does it on every tape and if i capture in the middle of a tape, the first clip is still ok. Heres my PC specs : P4 3.0g, 1 gig pc3200 ram, x850 pro 256 mg videocard, 2 seperate 80 gig sata. I tried capturing on both harddrives: same results. It looks like the compression is messed up when it capture cuz i noticed in PP 1.5.1 that the garbage appear every 15 frames. ( sometimes more) but its always in the same pattern. SO its not caused by fast pan, zoom, etc. Any help would be really appreciated. what i tried so far: updating my codecs, re-installing my PCI firewire card
BTW: I can't capture in PP 1.5.1, says device not available, try to reset camcorder. And cannot capture in vegas with the external capture device.

thanks in advance for your help
Jean Rousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 08:47 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You should file a trouble ticket at www.cineform.com/support as this is not a Aspect HD bug, it is likely to be some setup issue the support staff can help you with.
Old January 29th, 2006, 08:53 PM   #3
Trustee

In HDLink, try capturing just the M2T without the conversion. Use Scene Detect.

Then, after seeing which files look good and are worth using, convert them using HDLink.
Old January 29th, 2006, 11:00 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Jean, sometimes I will go into device manager and disable the 1394 card and then immediately enable it, it usually refinds the camera, make sure that you have the camera setup for HDV, not auto or DV and don't have the camera on . Try to give us the camera settings. XP SP2 right? Make sure "ilink conversion" is also off on your camera also.

Mike
Michael Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 12:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes, my FX1 is set to HDV (not HDV/DV) and the ilink conversion to off, I do have SP2 installed. I can capture in HDlink, in HDVsplit and even Vegas in their internal capture device. I can"t capture in PP 1.5.1 but i can press play , reverse, fforward, but no image and no capture device detected. I tried changing all the settings in PPro capture mode, to i1394, to cineform HDV capture, HDV capture, etc. I<ll try re-installing PPro since i unregistered all codecs and re-gistered the ones from a winXP fresh install. I<ve noticed that my video , once captured , plays at .5 time the realtime speed on windows media player.
Jean Rousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Is this resolved yet? I appear to be getting similar problem capturing from my FX1.

If so can someone post the solution please.
Alan Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 08:17 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I've ALWAYS had this problem. The solution is to capture the .M2T file only (without scene-detect) and then batch convert the file using HDLink with the scene-detect option checked.

I've got a 3.0 GHz with HT also, and I note the the problem almost disappears on my 7200rpm drive vs. my 5400rpm drive. Cineform seems to do all their testing on systems that are totally dedicated to Aspect HD. The real world of the rest of us having lots of other installed applications is called "user error".

Wayne
Wayne Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 10:25 AM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Although this thread isn't focused on a particular issue, there was a capture glitch fixed a couple of weeks ago with a new build of Aspect HD 4.0 and Connect HD 2.1.
Old March 12th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman
Although this thread isn't focused on a particular issue, there was a capture glitch fixed a couple of weeks ago with a new build of Aspect HD 4.0 and Connect HD 2.1.

I had been using a connect HD 2.1 for about a month, with no capture errors, but know it stops all of the time. I am downloading your newest release and will post as soon as I check it out.

I also must say that less than 2kb/sec download speed from your support site is completely unacceptable.

I just found a link on Cineforms site with 154kb download speed. Something is definately wrong with your supportcenteronline.com site!

Thanks,

Jon
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #10
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Unfortunately the support site is not hosted under our control, I don't know why its bandwidth is so terrible. For upgrade downloads always use cineform.com.
Old March 13th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #11
Major Player

Update

I downloaded Connect HD V2.1 v1.6(2/28 update) and uninstalled the previous 2.1 and reinstalled the newly download one.

I have scene detection checked and capturing the m2t only. I want to convert after capture, considering that's all hdlink does is convert it and then erase it.

My problem is that the scene detection doesn't work properly. When I capture from tapes that have only two scenes, it still splits it into 4 or 5 files. If scene detection was working properly it would only have two files, right?

Should I turn of scene detection when I am capturing to m2t and then when I convert to avi turn on scene detection, as someone posted as a work around in an earlier post???

Thanks,

Jon
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 07:17 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon East
I downloaded Connect HD V2.1 v1.6(2/28 update) and uninstalled the previous 2.1 and reinstalled the newly download one.

I have scene detection checked and capturing the m2t only. I want to convert after capture, considering that's all hdlink does is convert it and then erase it.

My problem is that the scene detection doesn't work properly. When I capture from tapes that have only two scenes, it still splits it into 4 or 5 files. If scene detection was working properly it would only have two files, right?

Should I turn of scene detection when I am capturing to m2t and then when I convert to avi turn on scene detection, as someone posted as a work around in an earlier post???

Thanks,

Jon
Yep, that's the way I do it -- NO scene detect on capture. Do it later during conversion.
Wayne Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 08:07 AM   #13
Trustee

I can do it that way, but I prefer to only convert the M2T files I plan to use right away. Also, some M2T files that come out perfectly can be played as is on the Linkplayer. And they can more easily be shared with other editors using YouSendIt.com as well.

So the scene detection using HDLink is a necessary function and must be fixed eventually. Like in the next release?
Old March 14th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #14
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes, for some reason breaking up M2T files isn't functioning as it should, although the normal scene detection for AVI conversion (used far more often) is working fine. Although very few have reported this bug, I believe it is a valid workflow and it is in the to-be-fixed database.
Old March 14th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #15
Trustee

Thanks.

Once I get a faster PC, it probably won't matter for me. But there are a lot of people for whom it will solve a lot of problems.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase