Cineform 2.1 from Vegas import to Avid at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 31st, 2006, 04:47 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Cineform 2.1 from Vegas import to Avid

Ok, usually i just edit what i need to then export back to tape and let the house deal with the tape from there.. this time though im working on an international project so uploading the finished edit to an FTP will be what im going to do..

Now, theyre using Avid, im using Vegas (damn i wish i kept my Avid system..lol)

When i finish my edit, i want to render to cineform and upload THAT to their FTP, but i want to know if Avid can support this file..

Upgrading or buying new stuff is OUT of the question here.. were shooting in 2 days and im delivering 24 hours after that..

any ideas if avid can handle cineform? They havent told me what version theyre running and im a bit behind on the avid front.. Im assuming their running ProHD with nitrous.. i dunno..

any urgent assistance is greatly appreciated
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 05:36 PM   #2
Major Player

Just tried it in Avid xpress pro hd (with HDV codec) just came in as white, is it being delivered in HDV? Uncompressed would be huge, but is a work around. well hope that at least answered your question in order to move on to plan "B"

just had a thought, have them download Premiere pro tryout and Cineform codec, then you only have to send them the m2t file, now that I think of it, the file would be alot smaller. and they could always upload it to tape themselves.

MIke
Michael Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 05:42 PM   #3
Major Player

Excuse me if I'm being ignorant, but is there no 'Cleaner' style transcoding program for Avid that could accept CFHD AVI files?

I'm about to liaise with a company using Avid HD and some kind of fairly painless way to transcode files across into their codec would be very useful indeed.
Richard Leadbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 05:55 PM   #4
Major Player

OK.....Actually even better is the fact that you can directly import m2t into avid xpress hd, pretty fast at that, then you send them the smallest file possible, I would do my edit then export to m2t, much smaller than cineform, just tried it, imported 5 minute m2t in Avid, about 45 seconds to import on 3 gig system.

Mike
Old January 31st, 2006, 06:24 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Stewart
Just tried it in Avid xpress pro hd (with HDV codec) just came in as white, is it being delivered in HDV? Uncompressed would be huge, but is a work around. well hope that at least answered your question in order to move on to plan "B"

just had a thought, have them download Premiere pro tryout and Cineform codec, then you only have to send them the m2t file, now that I think of it, the file would be alot smaller. and they could always upload it to tape themselves.

MIke

Trouble with Premiere Trial is it does not come with HDV capability. A real drag when you can't try it out.
Old January 31st, 2006, 06:41 PM   #6
Inner Circle

i dont want to print back to tape im afraid.. the only way i can get m2t is reprint the edit back to tape... :(

Unless im missing somethign here and i can render from Cineform to M2t without having to print to tape??
Old January 31st, 2006, 06:44 PM   #7
Inner Circle

oops my bad..

its ok, i can render out from cineform to mpg2 m2t extension which avid should read whtout a problem..i usually jsut print to tape and not think about it..

maybe i should RTFM... lol
Old January 31st, 2006, 07:58 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Chris, your right, that is where downloading and using cineform aspect hd comes in in order to export to m2t file. But now we know Avid takes m2t file so even better!

Mike
Old February 1st, 2006, 02:12 PM   #9
Major Player

It's frustrating that Avid has specifically chosen to not support industry-standard wrapper formats like AVI. But it reinforces their "isolationist" strategy.

There are some things we have planned in the coming months that (fingers crossed) should eliminate these compatibility problems....
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 01:45 PM   #10
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

go to avids site and download their free codec?
then render the project in Vegas using it .
or render it out as a QT = if they can't read QT then IMO boycott avid

if you need a smaller file to post on web site then try the excellent microscom codec. creates a 4:4:4:4 files uncompressed lossless & smaller then cineform files .. others would need to download the free microcosm reader codec ( reads on Avid)

http://codecs.onerivermedia.com/
click on 4:4:4
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 03:13 PM   #11
Major Player

Using the m2t file will keep it the smallest and you don't have to work around it or load a special codec + no quality hit.

Mike
Michael Stewart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase