Wierdness with PP2.0, Zoom, Color Correction at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old February 26th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wierdness with PP2.0, Zoom, Color Correction

I've just migrated to PP2.0 + Aspect HD 4.0 and find the Quick Color Correction effect to be very nice. However, when this effect is implement after a standard PP zoom (from the motion effect) the Cineform HD Export avi file has wild ripples (extreme combing, only smoother). If I do the same Quick Color Correction and use the Cineform PZR zoom, then everything is fine.

OK, so use the Cineform PZR zoom only, yes? The only problem is that it's very difficult to pan/move clips using this effect -- the built-in PP motion effect is much better and more intuitive. Is there a way to use the Cineform zoom and the PP motion together? Once PZR is selected it seems to lock out the use of PP motion. (Only the PP zoom seems to cause the problems, not the PP motion alone).

Or, failing that, is there an intuitive way to map the coordinates given by a PP move (centered at 720,540) to the Cineform PRZ coordinates (-640 -> 640, -360-> 360)?

P.S. Welcome back, David. Are you getting any sleep these days? ;-)

Last edited by Patricia Lamm; February 26th, 2006 at 12:45 PM.
Patricia Lamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Thanks, not too not much sleep. :)

This ripple sounds like fields are been combined from an interlaced source. Yes our PZR is field-aware, but I would have thought PPro's would be also. I'll do a couple of tests. However I first need some info from you. I guessing this is 1080i footage (not CFxx) or 720p. Was your 60i footage encoded as interlace or progressive (get the properties of the source clip.) In properties you should see the line : "Uncompressed Video Format is 8-bit YUV422 progressive" (or no "progressive" for interlaced.) Which do you see?
Old February 26th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

It's 1080i. When I check the properties it says "Uncompressed Video Format is 8-bit YUV422". The source was captured in PP1.5 using Cineform HD capture, so I'm assuming that it's interlaced upper field.
Old February 27th, 2006, 05:12 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

There does seem to be a PPro 2.0 bug (same does not occur with 1.5.1) so I looking into that and I have contacted Adobe. However there is a simple workaround; when using PPro's color corrector, add the Force Render filter after it. It seems added any CineForm filter will fix whatever the Adobe filter is doing wrong. ;)

Note: this issue doesn't happen when you use Aspect HD color correctors.
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew

That's brilliant!! Thanks, it works great. I always wondered what I was supposed to do with "forced render". Any other great things that I should be doing with it?
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Glad I could help. This one had us scratching heads at CineForm and Adobe. We have confirmed that it happens in Adobe alone, but we will try and find an easier solution than force render. Still explorering.

Force Render is handy when you overload playback with 6-7+ layers of RT video and effects and you force a render to get smooth playback. Force Render doesn't modify the image in any way.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase