Prospect HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old March 24th, 2006, 12:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Prospect HD

If I have a machine with Prospect HD and a Xena card and I have a 300m long cable between the XL H1 and the computer, it is possible to toggle recording from the camera?

Second, if I get a Decklink card and store the raw footage on disk, and then later on want to compress the raw file with Prospect HD, how is this done in practice? For example, is it possible to export the raw footage from Premiere Pro 2.0 to a Cineform avi-file?

Third, if one needs to analyse frame by frame (not rigid) objects moving fast, is there a difference in the details between a raw HD-SDI footage and the corresponding compressed Cineform avi-file? That is, can one fully rely on the motion analysis made viewing a compressed Cineform avi-file?
Lauri Kettunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri Kettunen
If I have a machine with Prospect HD and a Xena card and I have a 300m long cable between the XL H1 and the computer, it is possible to toggle recording from the camera?
Maybe with a 300m (1000ft) keyboard cable. :) Prospect HD is uses Premiere's capture interface, so if you can trick Premiere into capture remotely that trick will work with Prospect HD. There are likely several tools around to enable that. The HDSDI signal from the Canon XL-H1 doesn't contain any control data for remote tirggers. Although such live capture applications maybe better suited for an Wafian HR-1 (which is planning more remote triggering features.) Warning HDSDI has a maximum range of about 100m without repeaters (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDSDI.)

Quote:
Second, if I get a Decklink card and store the raw footage on disk, and then later on want to compress the raw file with Prospect HD, how is this done in practice? For example, is it possible to export the raw footage from Premiere Pro 2.0 to a Cineform avi-file?
Yes and sort-of. If you produced a 'v210 'format 10-bit AVI uncompressed from the Deckline then Premiere Pro 2.0 and Prospect HD will be able to read and convert them to a 10-bit CineForm file. Other uncompressed formats will be treated as 8-bit, so maybe 8-bit is OK for an H1 shoot. If you are capturing 10-bit MOV files you can use After Effect Pro to convert them to 10-bit CineForm AVIs.

Quote:
Third, if one needs to analyse frame by frame (not rigid) objects moving fast, is there a difference in the details between a raw HD-SDI footage and the corresponding compressed Cineform avi-file? That is, can one fully rely on the motion analysis made viewing a compressed Cineform avi-file?
Yes you can full rely on the CineForm compressed results, particularly if you the quality setting of High HD Optimized (optimized for RT from uncompressed sources like the H1) and above. You can use an uncompressed in burst on the Wafian HR-1, but that mode was added to show that you can see any difference but CineForm compression and uncompressed.
Old March 26th, 2006, 01:37 AM   #3
Major Player

David, thank you very much for your kind answer.

The length of the cable is a side issue (a local representative of Decklink cards told that a 300m long HD-SDI has been tested several times and found to work well) so let's forget that.

It seems you implicitly suggest to use Wafian HR-1. The question is then -as the need is to make motion analysis rather soon after taking the footage- is it possible to put footages side by side frame by frame and compare them with the Wafian HR-1? I assume, one still needs a computer for such kind of analysis, and therefore the first choice were to record directly on a computer.

Perhaps the HR-1 and laptop was a feasible solution, but still, we needed a (rather large) full rez display. Thus, Prospect HD, Xena card, computer and good display sounds at the first place more tempting.

Any suggestions, how the recording could be trigged from the camcorder? Thinking of practical use, at the camera end one needed also to know, whether the recording is on or off.
Lauri Kettunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

All reasonable reasons to use Prospect HD over the Wafian HR-1. The remove trigger could be done any number of ways. One might be to use a remote desktop connection (http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...ws-XP-Pro.html) to the Prospect HD workstation, and use a small laptop at the capture location. This way you can operate the PHD system via a laptop.
Old May 20th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

XL H1 and Premiere Pro Capture Problem

Hey Guys, I'm new in the forum, I will really apriciate your help.
I got my XL H1 yesterday, shot some footage at the lake, and cant capture to my PC. I have HP XW8200 PC Dual 3.4 Xenons, 6MB ram, QuadroFX4500 video card, and using Premiere Pro that I purchased about 2-3 years ago, I cant get the version number, it says Premiere Pro, then I download the Prospect HD, and Aspect HD, the trial version, but still couldnt capture anything, Does anybody knows what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you in advance
Nerses
Nerses Papoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #6
Major Player

Nerses, you need to be running PremPro 1.5.1 or PremPro 2 with Win XP Service Pack 2. Then you'll need to reinstall Aspect HD.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thank you Very Much David, I'm gonna go ahead and get the Premiere Pro 2.0 and try as you said.

Thank you
Old May 20th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey David

David, I installed Premiere Pro 1.51 and reinstall Aspect HD
open a project using Aspect HD 1080*720 and still cant capture anything.
Do you have any idea whats goin on?

Thank you in advance
Old May 20th, 2006, 06:27 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Still Problem

I even installed Premiere Pro 2.0 then installed Aspect HD, but I cant capture anything,
Myabe I'm doing something wrong? I have only Firewire cable conected, do I need to connect also S-Video to my Matrox RTX 100 ? or its not neccessary?

Please help me out guys, cant capture anything
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:35 PM   #10
CTO, CineForm Inc.

What are you trying to do? Explain every step. Like are you trying to capture 24F/30F or 60i? Do you have the camera output in HD mode or downconverting to SD? Make sure you are using CineForm HDV capture (not the adobe capture.)
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #11
Trustee

Are you using the Matrox card? It does not support HDV as far as I know. Use a different firewire port.
Old May 21st, 2006, 12:26 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Doesnt want to work

OkI'm Trying to capture from the XL H1, still doesnt want to work,
Now I installed Premiere Pro 2.0, Cineform HDV and connecto to another Firewire port, still the same thing, now in the camcorder the device control is OFF and in the Premiere Capture window the Device control is on Cinefrom HDV Device Control, I can control the camera from the Premiere but when I play6 it, I cant get nothing on the capture screen.
THe Capture Format is set to CineForm HDV Capture,
Do you have any Idea what I'm doing wrong?
Old May 21st, 2006, 10:18 AM   #13
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Things will get clearer tomorrow when the support staff can help. In the meantime follow the manual for using HDLink (the other way to capture.) Try capturing just M2T data (do not select conversion to AVIs.) This will help determine if the camera is in the correct mode. Capture some M2T clip and confirm they play in a tool like VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/.) Once you can successful capture M2T data you should be able to capture within Premiere.
Old May 21st, 2006, 11:05 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerses Papoyan
Do you have any Idea what I'm doing wrong?
Yes, you are cross posting. You'll get excellent support here; no need to cross post.

Try using HDLink and let us know if that works.

Best,
Christopher
Christopher Glaeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2006, 11:22 AM   #15
Regular Crew

How do I capture

How can I capture M2T files?
Nerses Papoyan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase