Frame export bug Aspect or Premiere? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old April 3rd, 2006, 11:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Frame export bug Aspect or Premiere?

Since upgrading to Premiere Pro 2.0, I noticed that Exporting a Still Frame does not work - either at all or inconsistently. I am working with 1080i footage using Aspect 4.0. The error I get is:

"Error compiling movie" when executing the export.

The workaround for me is to Export Frame and choose the Settings button; Then choose the Keyframe Rendering menu and Check Deinterlace. That allows frame export to work SOME OF THE TIME for me.

However I never had to make any settings changes when exporting still frames in earlier versions of Premiere.

I am using Adobe Production Studio version on Premiere Pro 2.

Last edited by Jeff Baker; April 3rd, 2006 at 04:54 PM.
Jeff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 11:52 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Have you filled a trouble ticket? I haven't heard of a bug like this, and I use Export Frame all the time.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 03:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I was just discussing it over at the cineform forum with some others that are having similar problems. No ticket open yet since I'm not sure if it is a premiere or aspect related issue.
http://supportcenteronline.com/ics/s...asp?deptID=614
Old April 4th, 2006, 11:15 AM   #4
Major Player

Still export error - captured AHD3.4, read 4.0

I have a test project made on PPro1.5.1/AHD3.4 that is HDV1080i30 and contains footage from my HDR-HC1, .jpg stills and standard DV from a Canon ZR70. In PPro2.0/AHD4.0-build54 get the movie/frame/export yields that error on the HDV footage wether or not it is deinterlaced. I do NOT get the error on exports from the still or standard DV segments.

I have another project created and captured in PPro2.0/AHD4.0 with more HDR-HC1 footage and frame exports work from there just fine.

So I suspect this problem is between AHD versions.
Don Blish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Looks like getting the latest build is harder with Aspect 4.x as I don't see it on the update page and the link from my purchase link has expired. How do you upgrade to the latest build?

The frame export error does seem to be really hard to pin down. It was happening in one project no matter what I did until I closed and restarted Premiere - then I could export the still frame no problem. So now I'm thinking that Adobe still has weird hard to reproduce memory errors that have been plagued all the Premiere pro products.

I think going into msconfig and disabling all startup apps is going to be the first step to a good test of this problem.

One problem with production studio is its install time - it takes forever to install and doing a clean uninstall is a pain as well, an all day project really PLUS you have reactivate Aspect after everything else. Bottom line is that I hope this is not a "Try a re-install" issue.
Old April 4th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #6
Major Player

Follow up

As to what build you have: When you downloaded the update, the filename apparently had the build number embeded as the number after the "b" followed by the creation date as YYMMDD. So go look in your downloads directory if the file is still there.

I believe that my test that showed only the HDV footage having the error and not the still or DV segments proves it is Aspect and not Premiere. So..... is your project with errors one that had footage captured under AHD3.x and is now being edited in PPro2.0/AHD4? You could try a fresh capture under AHD4 to see if the problem clears. If you still have a problem then file a Cineform trouble ticket.
Don Blish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I am using aspect hd 4.0152 according to the file I downloaded.
I captured and edited after installing version 4 so the captured files and aspect versions match.

I recently tested my 2gb of ocz titanium ram and it passed memtest and the pi test so think that is okay. I guess a trouble ticket will be the next step.
Old April 4th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman
Have you filled a trouble ticket? I haven't heard of a bug like this, and I use Export Frame all the time.
I received a reponse on my trouble ticket (from Jake) that this is a known problem and is to be fixed in the next release of the AspectHD.
Old April 8th, 2006, 12:54 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I used to have this problem ALL THE TIME and now I don't - and the reason for the change is somewhat wacky (and maybe it's only a coincidence). What made the problem go away for me was to change the hardware acceleration for my monitor to 'FULL' (using the 'Display properites', 'Advanced', 'Troubleshoot' options on the YMMV.
Patricia Lamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 03:40 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia Lamm
I used to have this problem ALL THE TIME and now I don't - and the reason for the change is somewhat wacky (and maybe it's only a coincidence). What made the problem go away for me was to change the hardware acceleration for my monitor to 'FULL' (using the 'Display properites', 'Advanced', 'Troubleshoot' options on the YMMV.
Which video card are you using? I am set to Full as well but not having the same luck.
Old April 8th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I have a Matrox Parhelia APVe on one machine and a NVIDIA Quadro 1300 on another. I used to have the frame export problems with both but now I don't seem to have the problem any more. Knock on wood... Sorry that this didn't help you...
Patricia Lamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #12
Trustee

FWIW - I had this problem last night for the first time. So I went into clip properties and checked the 'deinterlace' box. The frame then exported fine.

As an experiment, I then went back and UNchecked the 'deinterlace' box again ... and the frame still exported fine!

Go figure....at least its a quick workaround (provided it works for others, of course).
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 01:37 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hickling
FWIW - I had this problem last night for the first time. So I went into clip properties and checked the 'deinterlace' box. The frame then exported fine.

As an experiment, I then went back and UNchecked the 'deinterlace' box again ... and the frame still exported fine!

Go figure....at least its a quick workaround (provided it works for others, of course).
I thought the deinterlace checkbox was a workaround as well, but then it didn't work everytime either. Since the avi file is no longer a long GOP file after cineform converts it, I don't know why frame export is being so touchy in Prem Pro 2.
Old April 15th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #14
Major Player

I have had this problem since first installing PPro 2.0 and Aspect HD. Comes and goes so I never did a ticket on it. No work arounds that I know of, but I still bite down on my tongue on the right side when I try and export a frame, it works some times. ;)
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #15
Tourist

(W)ork (A) (R)ound

Hey everyone,

I've had a little experience with Premiere 5.1 and 6.0 and just recently started playing around with Pro 1.5, and today I ran into an export frame issue that may be similar to what is happening for others.

After many test exports I think I narrowed the issue to being the way the export interprets the transforms I have placed on my video. I noticed that large black areas would show up at varying degrees that matched the changes in my scaling and position. The black areas would appear in a way that gave the impression that the transforms were anchored in the upper left corner and were acting as a matte resulting in the exported frame to be covered by the black areas rather than being scaled or positioned. Although the portions that showed were correct in their scale and position to the extents of the frame.

I also noticed that when setting the program view in the monitor to highest quality it replicated what happens during the export to frame.

Here's my work-a-round: (back up file before trying)

Export as a movie in .tif format
Square Pixels
Deinterlace
Frame Rate 24FPS (1FPS caused the program to freak out)
Work Area (at least two frames, again 1 CTPTFO)

I find the frame I want then move the 2frame work area to the spot, then export. Oh I also set the frame options to no blend.

It will usually render out two consecutive frames, and has not failed me yet.

UPDATE:
Turns out this only worked to a point. When the scale or position is significant the frames still get clipped, but not as much as export to frame. I've discovered that the transform is in fact creating a false alpha that I haven't been able to get rid of ... and of course you know "this means war" ~ according to Bugs Bunny flying through the air after being struck by the Bull :)

DOUBLE DUTCH UPDATE:
OKAY... I found that when I deactivated the Color Corrector effect the artificial alpha disappeared. To get the Color Corrector to work I put the transformed clip into its own sequence, put that sequence into its original video track, then added the Color Correction on the sequence.

Seems to work so far, and even in the export to frame, woo hoo.

I'll post if I run into any brick walls with this solution.

www.VOID.com

Last edited by David Biagini; May 5th, 2006 at 04:14 PM.
David Biagini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase