Drop or Non-Drop Frames ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 24th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #1
Major Player

Drop or Non-Drop Frames ?

In PPro 1.5.1 do I want 30fps dropped, or non-dropped?
I just noticed that I have the "project" settings one way, and the DVD encoding the other way. What would be the effect of this on the output?

Also, when I launch PPro 1.5.1, the Cineform box comes up at the start, but where it lists in black the "version 4.1", I only see the top half of those letters. Is this normal? I have a Sony 19" LCD model HS94p operation at 1280x1024.

Thanks for the help - pk
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 05:10 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Drop vs Non-Drop only effects the timecode, not which frames are presented. No need to worry.

I'll have to look into the verison number thing.
Old June 27th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks

Thanks David. I just can't figure out what it could be. The Cineform CF avi's are clear and perfect. When I make DVD from Vegas, they look great. From Adobe I get very poor results. Obviously its something in PPro. I either get somewhat fuzzy results if I burn DVD from PPro 1.5.1, or if I follow the Cineform advice on the intermediate avi file, I get a great deal of combing, interlaced flicker, and artifacting in general-especially on anything that is moving, or if I was moving the camera. I also notice like a ghost image on moving objects, that is not there when I use Vegas, or just play and pause the CF captured files. The drop/non drop was the only setting that I could find that was different. Curiously in Vegas they don't even have a drop/nondrop option. I guess the moral of the story is to just use Vegas cause it works.
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

sounds like you are getting the interlaced handling wrong -- file a trouble ticket.
Old June 27th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Paul,

Just wanted to let you know that Vegas 6 does have a drop/non-drop setting. Just look under the project properties and then ruler tab. If you look under the ruler time format, you will be able to change it there!

regards,
Juan
Juan Oropeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 07:51 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Juan and David

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman
sounds like you are getting the interlaced handling wrong -- file a trouble ticket.
Thanks Juan, but it works in Vegas, so I won't screw with it. I've tried it both drop and non-drop in PPro and no difference.

David, I agree its in the interlacing. Strange, though, I noticed that when I used HD Link with Vegas, I had both the original CFHDCap mpeg2, and the CFHDCap avi's. The CFHDcap avi's look great. The CFHDCap mpeg2 is messed up, just like my PPro output. A vetical line, ie fence post, telephone pole, etc, looks like it has comb edges instead of a nice straight vetical line. I will try submitting a ticket, unless this info helps explain the problem. Thanks - PK
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase