Best CFHD project to SD work flow - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old February 1st, 2007, 11:25 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tyrrell
I've been bypassing VirtualDub and importing Cineform's HD directly into Tmpgenc 4 Express. It's got a lancosz3 resizing option that seems to work pretty well. I haven't tried the sharpening filter. Will give it a try. Gotta be a little careful. Oversharpening can look TERRIBLE.
completely with Brad on this. It's how I do it as well. It's easy to do, runs good, and looks great. downside is it's $99 for tmpgenc if i recall.
Mark Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #17
Major Player

This is an interesting thread. I've been exporting right from an Aspect timeline to MPEG from PPro (last time I did it was under PPro 1.5 however) and it seemed really fine. The client could readily see a difference between the HDV-aspect originated SD DVD and other DVDs of SD originated footage...and I could as well.

How are you lightling? Some image issues that people interpret as clarity issues are really issues with just not exploiting the contrast range of the medium. Flat lighting looks low res because there are no significant edges in the picture...

TimK
Tim Kolb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #18
Major Player

I too was using the Cineform>VirtualDub>TMPEGnc and really liked the results. I did a test where I simply skipped the VirtualDub step and now just use TMPEGnc to take the full Cineform HD file and export a SD DVD file. It looks great and I save the time of the VirtualDub step. I know for sure that either way, these two processes create a much, much better SD DVD than using Adobe.

Does anyone have a screen grab to show the differences between exporting using Adobe versus the VirtualDubd>TMPEGnc versus just going directly to TMPEGnc from the Cineform file and skipping VirtualDub. Would be really cool to compare.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase