Big Capture Problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old January 10th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #1
Major Player

Big Capture Problems

Okay...

So, I go into premiere, I make my batch capture list, then do a batch capture. Cineform plows right through them, ignoring the start and stop times.

When the tape hits the end, the capture doesn't stop, it jsut keeps going until I click stop. It then says no frames were captured.

I tried out HDlink, when I hit start, it simply freezes up. Is there a way to select in and out points from HDlink? Do I need to do the whole tape?

I know my comp is up to snuff. Intel Core 2 Duo at 2.4, 2 gigs of 800 ram, 7200rpm hard drives, 2 SLI linked 7600 GT nvidia cards...
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

How about contacting support, as clearly something isn't installed correctly. Try uninstall, reboot, then reinstall. If the problem persists contact support.
Old January 10th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #3
Major Player

Matt, I have the same type issue trying to capture from within PPRo.
Mine is doing scene detect. It starts to read the tape, then it just reads to the end w/o capturing anything. I tried everything, so now I will send the tape to CF.

Using other tools the tape read fine.

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 03:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I had been going through the same problems with pp2 & capturing with aspect on 3 different high-end pc's. all with fresh installs of windows & progs(also didnt matter if I was converting to cine avi or m2t). I was able to test a bunch of different scenarios out till I found a setup that works. All the machines would capture m2t's fine in vegas with no prob's. but if I used pp2 or hdlink, it was hit or miss whether it would work. seemed like it didnt work more with this latest version of aspect (not to knock aspect, I think it's one of the best programs I've ever purchased). so here's what I had to do to fix and I havent had a problem in 4 straight days and capturing many, many tapes.

in the aspect setup I changed the encoder size from medium to large and this is the only thing I had to change from my normal setup (which I'm also guessing gives me a little better quality on my cineform avi). leave frame format on auto and not put a check in the smart rendering box. no check in pulldown or duplicate frame and leave rate change at no change, maintain audio pitch is checked off. no check in the m2 lens and put a check in the deinterlace (someone told me I should always leave that checked for every capture, dont know why I just do it, lol). resize video is none and checks in both the aspect ratio and the split file boxes.

now the other thing that has helped was messing with my raid setup. I have a raid 0 storage partition that is just for my captures. in my raid bios i set the stripe size to 128k and then in windows set my cluster size to 64k on the raid array. obviously when you do this you will have to recreate the array and lose everything on it so be careful, move your data to a external or something like that first. wow just doing that made my array faster and use less cpu power.

but doing one or the other didnt fix my capture probs it is only after I did both last weekend I've captured 20+ tapes with not a single issue :)

ps. doing this fixed the problem on all 3 pc's
Mark Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #5
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Leonard
... put a check in the deinterlace ...
Why? You don't what to de-interlace if you have 60i source unless you want to convert to 30p/24p, all other sources 24p/25p/30p/1080 and 720p should not be deinterlaced.
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman
Why? You not what to de-interlace if you have 60i source that you want to convert to 30p/24p, all other sources 24p/25p/30p/1080 and 720p should not be deinterlaced.
hrmmm, I have a sony HC3 that shoots hd in 60i only. someone told me to always de-interlace that footage when capturing with aspect for my editing that it would look better. it looks damn good to me that way, so your saying that HC3 users shouldn't de-interlace the footage for edting??? your reply doesn't quite make sense in the first few words and it messed up what you're trying to tell us :)

ps. you guys hanging around and posting in this forum so much is litterally quite amazing!
Mark Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #7
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Interlace is a pain and it should be outlawed, but if you can use it there reasons to keep the picture interlaced (primarily smoother motion of SD and 1080i display devices.) If you only intend for progressive playback (computer monitors or Plasma/LCD TVs) then deinterlacing is OK. If you like the de-interlaced results, your are now working with progressive images, which are much easy to resize and output to multiple formats. Interlace vs Progressive is a subject for another thread (which there have been many in the past.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase