Scene splitting? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old April 9th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #16
New Boot

I will absolutely do that David as soon as I get home.

I have a quick question about trying the reinstallation on my notebook. Should I deactivate Aspect HD 3.3 before uninstalling and installing the upgrade (4.3) or just uninstall/install?

Thanks David.
Frank Pitsikalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I captured m2t's without scene detection, that worked fine.

Converted captured m2t WITH scene detection and they were detected fine.

Captured m2t's with scene detection on and it would miss scenes and randomly stop capture. Pretty much the same behavior as capturing HD Link avi's.

Repeated on a different firewire port. All results were the same.

Unistalled build 38, rebooted, reinstalled build 38, rebooted.

Once I did this every feature worked. Doesnt really make alot of sence to me as that is the procedure I used to upgrade to this build.

After a little more expermentation it would seem to be working just fine.

My trial expires today so I hope it continues to work.
Bruce Ellingwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 01:52 PM   #18
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Pitsikalis View Post
I have a quick question about trying the reinstallation on my notebook. Should I deactivate Aspect HD 3.3 before uninstalling and installing the upgrade (4.3) or just uninstall/install?
No deactivation required.
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Well I'm sorry to report that it things are still not working correctly. It scene detects but occasionally (at random) stops capture.

When I capture one single m2t (no scene detection) and then convert, the scene detection works fine during the conversion.

Perhaps it is an issue with the XH-A1.

I would hate to have to capture the m2t's and then convert. Would trash storage requirements on a large project.

If it wasn't for the superior quality of the end product it would be easy to set this software aside, but damn it makes a good picture.
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #20
Trustee

Bruce,

I capture M2T and then convert what I need. That way I can just back up the m2t and if I ever need the AVI I can easily convert them again. SO while the short term store is larger, the long term is smaller.
Old April 10th, 2007, 01:46 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I've not had much time to really play with this, but I'm still having the same scene splitting problem as Bruce. I'm not sure what you mean by 'convert as needed'. If I have 1 big m2t file from the capture how do you pick the scenes you want to convert?

I'm currently still doing the scene splitting manually as even when I did it as a second pass I had a couple of crashes in Vegas.

...and your right, the quality and speed is excellent and I don't want to lose that. Just a pain on the scene splitting front.

David - I did file a ticket, but just haven't had the time to try all the possibilities (I've uninstalled, reinstalled both cineform and vegas, tried all sorts of things, but haven't had the time to go deeper yet), and the support people weren't able to establish a particular problem. But I'm sure there is one as I've seen enough comments on scene splitting problems with the XH-A1, I guess the thing is most people don't have the time to try a load of things out to narrow it down.
Simon Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #22
Trustee

Oh. Sorry. I have a Sony so I can use HDVSplit to capture M2T files using Scene Detect. I toss out the bad footage and convert the good stuff.

On the other hand, Cineform's HDLink can capture the M2T, and convert them in one step - or - you can choose to save the M2T, which I would do.
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #23
Regular Crew

I'm beginning to think it is related to the xh-a1. I can use HD Link to capture one big m2t and then convert to CFavi using scene detection and it works great. So it would seem that it is in the stream from camera to computer.

For me personally, capturing one big m2t file and then converting isnt a great option. I would have to at least double my raid array to maintain my current capabilities. But that is what I'll do until this is solved.

My trial expired last night but I'm buying the software as the quality of the end product is excellent, and seeing how Mr. Newman and Mr. Segraves are so quick to provide support I dont see how I can go wrong.
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #24
Regular Crew

I've worked with HD Connect for a year now - before Sony Vegas could scene detect HDV. I don't think you can go wrong with Cineform. They are always there to answer your questions - real people, knowledgable, English is their native language. A quaint approach in these times. (Damn the sarcasm, a family trait, trying to get over it but....mi culpa, mi culpa.)

Looking back. I threw away a lot of m2t files for space when I should have archived. I only kept the tape.
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Hey Simon,
Try this work flow and see if it works.

1 - Using HD Link, set preferences to capture m2t only, WITHOUT scene detection, then capture what you need.
2 - Click the convert tab, then select the file you just captured. Make sure that the split scenes box is checked. Click start.
3 - If you open the log you will see the scene detection taking place, along with the separate scene files being generated. This will give you CineForm avis with which to work. You can then delete the large m2t if you choose.

Following this procedure has eliminated all the issues I was having with Vegas crashing and freezing. It does still hiccup every now and then, but it never shuts things down.
Old April 11th, 2007, 03:17 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Woollard View Post
I decided not to experiment with Cineform Connect HD again given a tight deadline on this project. So I simply captured as m2t via Vegas's own capture utility and am happily editing away.
A suggested work flow.

Capture the .m2t files with Vegas 7 with scene detect selected, works just fine.

View the split .m2t files in Vegas and delete the junk ones.

Use HDlink to convert the remaining .m2t files into .avi then bring .avi files into Vegas for editing.
Old April 11th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #27
Trustee

I don't know how I missed this, but there is a post on this forum that told us that HDVSplit is now available for the Canon. I highly recommend it. It is free, easy to use, and for people like me who shoot a lot of wasted tape, it makes it easy to toss out bad m2t files and just convert the rest with HDLink. Saves time, drive space, and works for underpowered PCs.

If you have the room and the processor power, capture with HDLink and save the m2t files for archiving.
Old April 11th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #28
Regular Crew

I don't like to say it too early - but I've just tried the latest version 3.4.2 build 38 and now Vegas doesn't seem to crash anymore - even using files that I'd split using the old version...

I had just had a go with HDVSplit too and that seems great. But I'm even happier if I can do it all in HDLink. (Vegas 6d by the way)
Simon Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:22 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Just thought I would pass along that I upgraded to NeoHDV yesterday and it works fantastic. Scene detection works as does all other functions. A definite must have.
Old May 4th, 2007, 02:35 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Ellingwood View Post
Just thought I would pass along that I upgraded to NeoHDV yesterday and it works fantastic. Scene detection works as does all other functions. A definite must have.
hmm. i upgraded to neo hdv and every conversion longer than a few 100 MB terminates early with a "convert done" message. and each time producing different amounts of data. anyone else tried to convert a 1gb or > file with neo hdv on canon m2t files?

i'm going to downgrade to the previous version to get work done while i'm still waiting for a useful response from my cineform tix.
Ali Husain is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase