Color changes during preview at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old March 22nd, 2007, 03:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Color changes during preview

When I use Cineform under PPro 2, and do a preview, the color changes slightly in the program window. It looks nice when it's still but when I play it, the black level rises and it starts looking washed out.

Anyone else having this problem or know of a solution?

Is it an overlay issue?

Thanks,

stacy
Stacy Rothwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 03:53 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

It is explained in the readme. The many graphic card drivers don't do YUV to RGB conversions correctly. ATI gets it right with the overlay on and wrong with it off, NVidia the other way around, Matrox (who's customers are video professionals) get it right in both modes.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 07:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

David,

In the README, it only says what to do with an nvidia card not an ATI card. My laptop has an ATI Mobiliy X700.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old March 22nd, 2007, 09:34 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Read my reply above, it is all related. NVidia was the worse offender, but ATI has messed up also. Try turning the overlay on.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 09:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

David,

I'm sorry but I have looked everywhere and cannot see where to turn overlay on in ATI drivers.

Stacy
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:20 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

sorry, no, within the Aspect HD playback settings.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:49 PM   #7
Regular Crew

David,

Haven't had a chance to do the change with the ATI card yet, but I followed the instructions in the readme file regarding my desktop with an nvidia card.

All that resulted was that the scrubbed/still image looked more contrasty than normal and when I hit PLAY, that contrasty image did the same thing --- black level rose and color shifted.

I tried it both with USE OVERLAY on and off in the Project/Playback settings.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Stacy
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:08 PM   #8
CTO, CineForm Inc.

You have control over those levels with the NVidia overlay panel, adjust until the picture is to your satisfaction (you can adjust while Premiere is running -- much faster than restarting PPro.) Some gfx cards models are worse than others and more tweaking. Normally NVidia is fine with the overlay off (it is on all our cards.)
Old March 24th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #9
Trustee

Interestingly enough, this happens to me too, but very rarely--often I just need to restart the playback and it corrects itself. This is with a Parhelia APVe. I initially thought of describing it as an increase in contrast but the black level rising is closer to the truth.
Old March 28th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #10
Trustee

At least on my system (a Nvidia 7600GS card under XP) the advice in Cineform's Readme file hasn't worked since I updated from the 8x Forceware drivers to the 9x drivers.

The 9x drivers introduced a "new look" Control Panel option. The "old look" panel is still there .... but I can't get the overlay settings to function. YMMV.

With the new look Nvidia panel the tweaks you need are under "Video and Television" and then under the "Video color settings". Instead of the default settings being 100, they now seem to be +50 or thereabouts .... so the values of 109, 112 and 101 in the Cineform readme no longer apply.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 12:09 AM   #11
Regular Crew

So.... which image is correct? The still frame or the footage while being played back?

I have an Nvidia 7800GS, and have a nicely graded frame sitting there infront of me, but when I play the footage, it's suddenly a lot brighter.

Will Cineform will be putting out a new readme for the new Control Panels on the latest NVidia drivers?

I have a Dell 30" LCD and use Colorvision Spyder to calibrate it - so tweaking the hell out of the Nvidia settings seems a bit pointless, as the Spyder should have already sorted my settings out. I just need to fix the discrepancy between the still frame and the playback.
Douglas Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 04:01 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Have managed to make scrub and playback image almost identical.

First things first, Cineform Playback Settings (Premiere Pro->Project->Project Settings->General->Playback Settings) are set to:

ON - Enable overlay surface
OFF - Deinterlace video while scrubbing (as I want to see combing and then the result of my deinterlacing)
ON - Use HD Colorspace
ON - Use video systems RGB
ON - Disable preview mode playback
max - Memory size

NVIDIA Control Panel - I switched to old view (View->Switch to the Classic).

Color Correction:
Desktop 100 Bright, 100 Contrast, 1 Gamma
Overlay - 109 Brightness, 112 Contrast (as per Cineform Readme!)

Video Overlay Settings:
Saturation - 101

And the scrub and playback image are now as good as identical. Major confusion for me was the 'Enable Overlay Surface' setting above - the description seems slightly wrong - it's the overlay on my main screen, not an external monitor (and the above NVidia Overlay settings only works for me when it's set to ON).

Anyway - if other people are having these problems you could try setting the Enable Overlay Surface, then perform the tweaks suggested in the Aspect Readme.

Cheers, Doug.
Douglas Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 02:35 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I am having a huge color shift problem when I go to scrub. I have tried the overlay on and off and I still get a huge shift, wat too bright and way too blue. I am not sure if it a color space issue or if my SpyderPro screen calibration is being lost. Any thoughts?
Tim Homola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:58 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Scrubbed for me looks the same as a still frame. The played timeline looks different.

Make sure you're using overlay (set the Cineform Playback Settings for this) - and then open up your NVidia control panel and tweak it - at the same time, scub and play your premiere output.

I'm not sure how the Spyder works with overlay - but basically I try to tweak my NVidia overlay settings so the played footage looks the same as the still shot.

Before I altered my settings, the played footage was appreciably lighter than the still shot.
Old May 4th, 2007, 07:07 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Douglas, thanks but I have the ATI card. I have tried both overlay in Aspect and in the Control Center software and cannot solve it yet. :(
Tim Homola is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase