2K Scans from Super16 origination at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old April 26th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #1
Inner Circle

2K Scans from Super16 origination

Can Cineform software convert a 2k Cineon file to CFHD file. Can the edited footage be exported back to a Cineon or other filmout capable 2k file type? Will a computer capable of handling Aspect HD and PP2 be adequate?

Is there a significant resolution penalty?

Last edited by Bob Hart; April 26th, 2007 at 09:05 PM. Reason: evaporative memory syndrome (sounds better than alzhiemers) - forgot something.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Sort-of. You can use other tools with CineForm today, After Effects is the way we have been doing it. However we are adding DPX/Cineon in and out of HDLink (soon) to speedup and simplify this process. Aspect HD is only licensed to maximum resolution 1440x1080 4:2:2 8-bit. We will scale to input data to match the encoder. The computer type is not an issue, as the file based process doesn't have a real-time requirement. You may want to consider either NEO HD ($599) or NEO 2K ($799) for converting DPX files up to 1920x1080 4:2:2 10-bit or 2048x2048 4:4:4 12-bit. You can upgrade Aspect HD to Prospect HD for only $400 this month and that comes with NEO HD.
Old April 27th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #3
Inner Circle

David.

You post above may have lost something in my translation to strine (Australian) from mrekken (American).

I read from above that the $400 offer "this month" is for April but on the cineform site it suggests month of May for Aspect licence holders as of 30th of April. Does "this month" translate as "this coming month" or as we would say here "next month"?

Also I am a bit unclear on whether I need the 2K bundle which is an added cost or does the included Neo HD take care of this?

Sorry for being a bit dumb and pedantic. I tried to get at the $400 price but could not find it so looks like it is May. Is there a recency rule-off on the AspectHD version for this offer?

Last edited by Bob Hart; April 27th, 2007 at 10:03 PM. Reason: correction
Old April 27th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Bob,

I was vague with "this month" as I couldn't remember. As the site says May, then the month of May you can upgrade to Prospect HD for only $400.

http://www.cineform.com/SpecialPricing.htm

If you want to work in 2K (i.e. 2048x????) you will need NEO 2K or Prospect 2K (if you also want to use Premiere.) Neo HD is find if a 1920x1080 limit is OK for your production.

P.S. I'm also Australian, born in Perth, got my engineering degree at Curtin. :)
Old April 28th, 2007, 01:57 AM   #5
Inner Circle

David.

Thanks for your prompt response. Month of May it is then.

Small world isn't it. One of my previous workplaces was across the road in Allen Court. From its modest beginnings as W.A.I.T., Curtin Uni has certainly grown. There is even a broadcast radio station there.

1080 x 1920 will do me for the time being. I'm trying to find a way of integrating film with HDV origination so the 2K is probably overkill presently. Wide shots via HDV and via groundglass adaptors still do not do it for me sharpness and texturally.

Slightly off-topic, I was at the computer trying to get Virtual Dub to work and I brought up the cineform .avi of some shadow footage I shot of "The Eleventh Soldier", a local project here.

The scaling was way out, I have not learned to use it yet (slow-learner) but with only one quarter of the frame area viewable through being grossly enlarged in the monitor, I was surprised how much detail remained from the HDV origination.

This begs the question, how bad is the mpeg2 or DVD-Video export from PP2. It certainly doesn't look as good to DVD-Video yet the origination is mpeg2, so with simple cutting together without any manipulation of the image, I would expect it to be comparable.

Yet if the detail is available from .avi files and mpeg2 can be sharper when conveying 35mm film origination, then it should be possible for export to DVD-Video quality to match the HDV origination than PP2 makes it.

I shall re-double my efforts to learn this Virtual dub and Tmpeg path which seems to be the recommended route from readings here. The downside of Tmpeg is that the computer has to be tethered to the internet for periodic verifications which is something I do not like.

My editing stuff I keep quarantined from the internet as much as I can so any alternative recommendations would be appreciated.

Regards from HITW (are you old enough to remember that one).

Last edited by Bob Hart; April 28th, 2007 at 02:27 AM. Reason: added text
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Bob,

It is not clear to me what your question is. We haven't focused on DVD content generation as there are many tools that enable that, and this forum a got location for that information.

I don't know HITW, for my age, I started when it was W.A.I.T. yet finished at Curtin.
Old April 28th, 2007, 12:42 PM   #7
Inner Circle

About the time you were studying, ABC-TV used to have a show titled "Here In The West" or HITW for short. You may not have seen it as the broadcast time would have been when you were on the road or riding a bus home from Curtin.

After my words "slightly off-topic" in the previous post, I became a bit unfocused and rambled. The question quite rightly should be raised on one of the other threads because it is a Premiere Pro issue.

It seems like a lot of sandgropers have ended up in the US as achievers and doers. We are certainly over-represented in proportion to our population in the US entertainment industry. Keep up the good work.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase