MacOS QT --> AVI at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old May 16th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #1
Major Player

MacOS QT --> AVI

I don't have a Mac, so I cannot try out this question for myself.
Is it possible on the MacOS betaversion to generate or to convert Cineform QT files into Cineform AVI files directly on the Mac, without converting them on a PC? Or is only the PC version capable of doing this conversion from QT to AVI?

This would be a killer if possible. Then I could finaly recommend a professional codec which would generate AVI files to be played strait on a PC without any conversion or degrading of the material through the PC Neo player codec.
Cineform QT on the PC is not an option to play for our projects, it needs to play from the mediaplayer itself, not the PC quicktime player.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

That is going to happen, yet mac based MOV to AVI rewrapping isn't here yet.
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #3
Trustee

flip4mac.com has a product that does this for standard qt/avi/wmv files. So if you downconvert, you can get to AVI (though not cineform).
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for your quick answers.
David, I know you are busy guys. This export on Mac to AVI. Is that on the short list of features you are working on? The reason why I ask is because I have 2 projects in the next 2 months were a hell of a lot of files need to be moved from Macs to PC hassle free.

Cole, The flip4mac could be interesting for creating WMV files to send over the net, because they are small. Do you know if you can tweak settings in that software for the WMV-settings? For example I need settings for the keyframes and audio settings to be able to create perfect loopable video backgrounds. Default settings cause short freezes each time it passes back to frames 1 otherwise.
I tested the Cineform, it loops perfectly out of the box so that is still my goal for HD-files.
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #5
Trustee

unsure, I'm currently researching this same stuff for some projects we're working on over at www.sticktowhatyouknow.com . Lots of PC folks over there, and a bunch of mac folks too, so we have to be able to move stuff around freely as we have poeple working in tandem around the world on projects.
Old May 16th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Colemont View Post
Thanks for your quick answers.
Is that on the short list of features you are working on?
Marc, honestly it's not on the short list, meaning the next 1-2 months. But if you're moving the files from Mac to PC, there would seem to be a few options:

1. Just move them and convert them on the PC
2. Set up the drive on which your CineForm files exist on the Mac as a shared drive. Then convert the files from the PC using the shared drive as source and the destination drive is on your PC. (In this case it copies across the network simultaneously).
3. Use the CineForm QT files directly on the PC without converting - depending on which app you use on the PC of course. But the CineForm QT files work within CineForm SW on Windows the same as our AVI files.

I hope this is helpful.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi David, thanks for the options.
The problem I'm facing a lot is that our equipment is rented or used by people who do know nothing about conversions and video formats. Our machines running on XP embedded do not allow to install external software. While video content creators for the shows create their stuff mostly on Macs and deliver the QT-files. But it uses much more CPU on a PC then AVI or WMV. We advise our media server clients to not use QT therefore. So these content creators try to output AVI files for them but they do look like crap all the time. That's why I'm looking for solutions where those Mac guys can output high quality AVI files on their machines without having to search or to buy a PC to do conversions only for this client or show.
Old May 17th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Colemont View Post
But it uses much more CPU on a PC then AVI or WMV. We advise our media server clients to not use QT therefore.
Marc, if a CineForm workflow is being used, our QuickTime files and AVI files on Windws require the same processor horsepower. So it might work for you to export CineForm MOV files from FCP (or whatever you're using on MacOS, and use them directly on the PC. At least give it a try - it might work for you in the absence of AVI file creation on MacOS.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #9
Major Player

I will give that definatly a try, and let you know the result. Thanks for your amazingly quick replies!
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase