PropectHD encoder option question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old June 25th, 2007, 03:23 AM   #1
Major Player

PropectHD encoder option question

Hi,
I have a question for converting files. I have the feeling between AspectHD and ProspectHD that the file sized are bigger? Probably due to the 8 bit encoding AspectHD and the higher bit encoding on ProspectHD?
I have a request for 8 bit DV footage that need to be converted and played on a computer, to have also the option to encode back in 8 bit Cineform. The higher bits in that case have no value. In the settings menu I see no option to do that. This to save processing and data on the harddrive/CPU.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:14 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Marc,

Things have changed, even Aspect HD compression uses 10-bit internally now (in version 5.) The data rate bump to go from 8 to 10 is very minor, yet the quality benefits are large even for 8-bit DV sources. We find the 10-bit at "medium" is better than 8-bit compression at "high", and the medium 10-bit is a smaller file. Processing was never different as we also process at 16-bits per pixel.
Old June 25th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #3
Regular Crew

So, this means that capturing with Aspect we get 10bit 4:2:2 files with version 5?
Hernan Vilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes. However, don't make the mistake in thinking you have what Prospect HD has. Aspect HD is still limited to 1440x1080 and 8-bit I/O, 8-bit effects and color correction. We made the descision to make Aspect HD share the internal codec engine with Prospect HD, as wanted the best first generation quality over all our products, yet color work still favors Prospect HD by a significant margin.
Old June 25th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #5
Major Player

That makes it clear. Thanks for the detailed explanation.
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase