Convergent Designs Flash XDR - Page 20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 8th, 2008, 04:33 AM   #286
New Boot

thank you for the great andswer. Great little device.

1) I was not talkning about 1080 60p. The Ex1 is not capable of this (just 720 60p) . I just wanted to know is the XDR can capture 1920 * 1080 @ 24p. I'm asking this because as far as i understand the EX1 can output just 1080i through it's SDI which if true, very unfortunate in my opinion. I would have loved to capture 1080p with your high quality codec.
Or if i record 1080 24P with the EX1 and the SDI ouputs 1080i maybe the XDR can do some pulldown removal and i'll end up with 1080p final data stream ?

2) So you have a price for the 10 bit software updgrade ?

3) I saw that the XDR has Anton Bauer, IDX and tripod connectors. So i can mount the XDR to a 3-stud battery plate or a v-mount one ? The tripod is a 1/4 20" hole that can be screwed in right?

4) How do you power the XDR. I've read the brochure but couldn't find any information regarding this.

5) When do you think you will have the units ready for shipping for everyone and not just by booking them.

Thanks again.
Mihai Nicolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:31 AM   #287
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihai Nicolau View Post
I just wanted to know is the XDR can capture 1920 * 1080 @ 24p. I'm asking this because as far as i understand the EX1 can output just 1080i through it's SDI which if true, very unfortunate in my opinion.
The EX will output 1080i over SDI and progressive will be embedded. With pulldown removal (which I believe the XDR/nano are capable of doing) you end up with true progressive footage on your storage media.

With firmware 1.11 with EXes are also capable of outputting 1080p @24 directly from the HS SDI out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihai Nicolau View Post
So you have a price for the 10 bit software updgrade ?
This would be the "uncompressed option". MPEG2 is always 8-bit. I believe there is a guide price on the upgrade in another thread. It may also be on the C-D website.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 06:08 AM   #288
Inner Circle

Thank you for the great answer. Great little device.

1) I was not talkning about 1080 60p. The Ex1 is not capable of this (just 720 60p) . I just wanted to know if the XDR can capture 1920 * 1080 @ 24p.

>>> Yes.

I'm asking this because as far as i understand the EX1 can output just 1080i through it's SDI which if true, very unfortunate in my opinion. I would have loved to capture 1080p with your high quality codec.

>>> The Flash XDR is capable of recording 1080p24. As with all cameras, as far as I know, this (technically) comes across the HD-SDI as 24p embedded in a 1080i60 datastream.

>>> We only record the proper frames, the redundant frames are skipped.

Or if i record 1080 24P with the EX1 and the SDI ouputs 1080i maybe the XDR can do some pulldown removal and i'll end up with 1080p final data stream ?

>>> Yes, see the above answer.

2) So you have a price for the 10 bit software updgrade ?

>>> This will become available as our "Uncompressed Option" for $995 US. We would like for you to check out 100 Mb mode first as "Uncompressed" creates a lot of data.

3) I saw that the XDR has Anton Bauer, IDX and tripod connectors. So i can mount the XDR to a 3-stud battery plate or a v-mount one ?

>>> Mike Schell will need to answer this question.

The tripod is a 1/4 20" hole that can be screwed in right?

>>> Yes.

4) How do you power the XDR. I've read the brochure but couldn't find any information regarding this.

>>> The Flash XDR has a 4-pin XLR connector for power input. The voltage can be 6 to 20 Volts.

>>> Also, the Flash XDR comes with an AC power supply.

5) When do you think you will have the units ready for shipping for everyone and not just by booking them.

>>> We are in a mode of building the units as fast as we can. Our team worked over the weekend to build a batch for shipment this week.

>>> We will be in a continous process of building, testing, and shipping the units. But, it is difficult to predict when we will just have them "On the Shelf", ready for shippment immediately, as this depends on the number of orders we receive.

Thanks again.

>>> We welcome your questions.
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:52 AM   #289
New Boot

Woww...great feedback from you guys. Thanks a lot!

@George: Thanks ! Really helped me. Do you know if I have to send the EX1 to Sony for firmware upgrade or can i do it myself ?
Mihai Nicolau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey