Convergent Designs Flash XDR - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey

Convergent Design Odyssey
...and other Convergent Design products.

Old September 17th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #61
Major Player

Hi Mike,

Is the timecode needed with the HD-SDI to allow the XDR to remove the telecine on the fly with the XL-H1?

I am planning to do separate system sound and will need to run the timecode out of the camera and slave my audio recorder to it.

Or am I correct in assuming I will have to loop the timecode out from the recorder and back into the Flash XDR?
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:09 AM   #62
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galvan View Post
Hi Mike,

Is the timecode needed with the HD-SDI to allow the XDR to remove the telecine on the fly with the XL-H1?

I am planning to do separate system sound and will need to run the timecode out of the camera and slave my audio recorder to it.

Or am I correct in assuming I will have to loop the timecode out from the recorder and back into the Flash XDR?
Hi Michael-
We don't need the time-code to remove the telecine frames. The time-code input is mainly to allow you to sync the video to an external audio device.

You should be able to loop the timecode out of the audio recorder as you described. However, since the time-code signal (LTC) is not terminated, you could actually run the time-code out from the camera through the Flash XDR box an then over to your audio record deck (daisy-chain fashion).

Mike Schell
Mike Schell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #63
Regular Crew

HDMI only with high bitrate MPEG2 enc to CF recorder?

Mike, are you planing to do simpler/cheaper device for HDMI devices?

I am thinking about HDMI+FW input only (no HDSDI input at all (so no two boxes), LTC in/out for sync to other camera maybe, this is missing in alot of smaller cameras that can be used in multicamera setup-one master+few slaves) and with MPEG2 high bitrate encoder ( maybe with some restrictions also like only 3 modes HDV, 50 or 100Mbps.)

I need simple device that can record at the same time with HDV tape (like a slave recorder) but at better (or same) quality then HDV. This device must accept batteries for Canon HV20 or Sony V1 or have some adapter to loopthru that power to camera. (sony has HDV HDD recorder that has its own Batt, and often user forget to power it up...)

Cheaper version that has no MPEG encoder and just records as a slave from FW to CF cards (but with LTC in/out option for sync with other camers or external audio) is also an good way of transition to tape less for many users.
Igor Babic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 10:10 AM   #64
Convergent Design

Hi Igor-
We'll certainly consider this sort of device in a future model. We've received a number of requests for a solid-state firewire capture device that would enable a tapeless workflow. As Flash prices continue to drop this becomes an attractive option.

Mike
Old October 5th, 2007, 01:52 AM   #65
Trustee

Wow this thing is amazing. Sorry I didn't see it until now. This is the perfect device for Avid Liquid users and Liquid Chrome Xe users.

Liquid has native built in support for every profile, level and bitrate of mpeg2.

I have been working on some conversion tools for Liquid users to convert uncompressed footage into mpeg2 at up to 300 mbits I frame only. The conversion tool works great so far but of course it takes time and you still need the large raid to capture the material first. I have tried to make a capture program to capture directly to this format but it needs a lot of raw power in order for it to work well.

The Flash XDR is finally the perfect solution for Liquid. Now you can shoot video to cards and import that footage directly into Liquid and edit HD that is pretty darn close to uncompressed in terms of quality. The beauty of the Liquid Chrome XE (which is Liquid with an added AJA Xena LHE board) is that everything you edit will be in RT back through a SDI port. The best part is that I would assume you could hook the box up to the SDI output from the Xena card to use it as a RT mpeg2 recorder deck to create encoded masters of your projects from feeding live from the timeline.

Heck forget the flash cards. I think you guys should make a version for editors that is a box that encodes but then sends directly to a computer via some connection such as firewire or USB2. I know a lot of Liquid Chrome users who would love to capture to a mpeg2 I frame only format to edit with instead of having to use uncompressed with Liquid.

You guys should really think of marketing this thing towards Liquid Chrome users. They will love this thing. I will let as many of the other Liquid users know that I can. Keep up the great work. Can't wait to see it when it finally is ready.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #66
Regular Crew

This might sound a bit strange, but would it be beneficial for the Flash XDR to record SD via SDI ?
Stil Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 01:11 AM   #67
Contributor

Mike - congratulations. You guys are the true innovators in this area. The combination of this box with Sony's new EX cam looks awesome as it outputs full 1920 x 1080i and P(@24) from the HDSDI port.

I'd reckon a docking solution for that cam will be a winner. I know you've already said you'll look at it but Express card support seems a logical extension of what you are doing.

I still think NLE support will be your biggest hurdle. Avid supports XDCam HD in OP1A MXF but I wonder if they'll ever support all the resolutions your unit is capable of. As Thomas pointed out Liquid is already there, but Liquid is an Avid in name only.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:36 AM   #68
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
Wow this thing is amazing. Sorry I didn't see it until now. This is the perfect device for Avid Liquid users and Liquid Chrome Xe users.

Heck forget the flash cards. I think you guys should make a version for editors that is a box that encodes but then sends directly to a computer via some connection such as firewire or USB2. I know a lot of Liquid Chrome users who would love to capture to a mpeg2 I frame only format to edit with instead of having to use uncompressed with Liquid.

You guys should really think of marketing this thing towards Liquid Chrome users. They will love this thing. I will let as many of the other Liquid users know that I can. Keep up the great work. Can't wait to see it when it finally is ready.
Hi Thomas-
Sorry for the slow reply. We do have a 1394 port on Flash XDR, so theoretically, we could stream out MPEG2 back to a PC/MAC. We would just need to write the 1394 drivers to accept our stream. I'll add this to our list of possible future enhancments.

Thanks for the feedback and reommendations-
Mike Schell
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:37 AM   #69
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stil Williams View Post
This might sound a bit strange, but would it be beneficial for the Flash XDR to record SD via SDI ?
Hi Stil-
While this is technically possible, most users want DV support. Flash XDR only has an MPEG2 CODEC.

Mike Schell
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:46 AM   #70
Convergent Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mitchell View Post
Mike - congratulations. You guys are the true innovators in this area. The combination of this box with Sony's new EX cam looks awesome as it outputs full 1920 x 1080i and P(@24) from the HDSDI port.

I still think NLE support will be your biggest hurdle. Avid supports XDCam HD in OP1A MXF but I wonder if they'll ever support all the resolutions your unit is capable of. As Thomas pointed out Liquid is already there, but Liquid is an Avid in name only.
I think all the major NLE vendors are planning to support the new MPEG2 4:2:2 profile, since Sony will introduce a new 4:2:2 camera early next year. Flash XDR has the exact same hardware CODEC as this camera. All we have done is extend the bit-rate and offer an I-Frame only mode. These additions should be easily supported by most software 4:2:2 MPEG2 CODECs. But I agree, complete support for all frame rates and resolutions, may take a bit longer.

Mike Schell
Old October 23rd, 2007, 08:47 AM   #71
Contributor

Mike - that makes sense as Avid normally supports Sony's high end gear in a timely fashion.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #72
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schell View Post
...since Sony will introduce a new 4:2:2 camera early next year...Mike Schell
Mike, any info as to what Sony camera this is going to replace in the current line up?

Great thread. I only just read it all. Mike, don't go to coffee shops in Amsterdam, your brain is too important to us.
Christopher Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 08:09 AM   #73
Major Player

Hey, I just read the updated FAQ you have for the XDR, and I am even more excited about the product now. I really can't wait for this device, it definitely compliments my XL-H1 perfectly. 160MB MPEG2 I-Frame, real-time reverse telecine to 1080p24 from the HD-SDI, audio at 24bit/48khz, integrated mic pre-amps and XLR inputs w/phantom power; all in a 1lb small box that can mount on the back of the camera.

This is truly an excellent product ... finally something that handles the non-embeded audio issue with the HD-SDI of the XL-H1.

Bravo!

I have a question ... if shooting 1080p24, when you mics connected directly to the XDR, does it record the audio to match the frame rate of the video?
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #74
Obstreperous Rex

Convergent Designs has just released their updated F.A.Q. describing a number of significant updates to the forthcoming Flash XDR design. Interested folks can download this document directly from DV Info Net at http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=106861

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 12:42 PM   #75
Major Player

Any way to connect one of these to an SI-2K mini?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Convergent Design Odyssey